checker tourments

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

checker tourments

Postby steve on Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:28 pm

A problem many,if not all of us,have had at a checkers tourment arises when 10 participants are waiting for round 2 to begin except two players have not finished round 1.A move a minute or adjudication can take time.What is a good way to make sure that the round ends after 2 1/2 hours using time clocks?
steve

Re: checker tourments

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:04 pm

In chess they have the time rates adjusted: there they often play 2 hours for 40 moves each and half an hour quickpay finish for the rest in weekend tourneys, allowing 2 or 3 rounds per day. But in chess a round is only one game.
So a round is over after 5 hours.

In Prague we played 30 moves in 45 minutes and 15 minutes for the rest.
This means after 2 hours each game is finished and after 4 or 4 and an half hour (provided u accept 30 minutes breaks between the games of one round) the round is finished.

One round, i.e. two games in 2 1/2 hours would simply need faster time-rates, for example 30 minutes per game in quickplay style for both sides and a break between the games of half an hour.

Quickplay means that the game must be finished in the given time, but in the last three minutes a player might stop the clock and apply for a draw to the referee.
The referee either calls it a draw, if it is really a position in which the opponent has no winning chances (ie a published drawn endgame or the player applyinhg for the draw has a winning position), or decides that the game should be resumed, in which case they have to play til the end. The referee might ask a database or other, stronger players for advice before deciding if he calls it a draw or not. That is a hard task for the referee, but in all other case you would not have a calculable maximum lenghts of a game.

Greetinx from Dortmund, Germany

Ingo Zachos
Ingo_Zachos

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:12 am

2Ingo: Ingo, mostly, 99% we don't use clocks in State events, only on National, and only in Master Division is required, and Major - recommended.

2Steve: I would recommedn you to consider seriously Missouri and Illinoic experience ...

After half round (1 hour 15 mins) is over and 1st game no completed yet, players have to write down position and start the second game. There is always a chance that one game is played longer, but this chance is much smaller - that two games would exceed limit.

Anyway, at the end of round, one or both games are played move per minute.

So far I consider this system as best compromise, based on my experience playing in many States and under many systems.

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:39 am

:lol:
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Return to Tournament Discussion