World Title Match : Medina,Ohio

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

Re: World Title Match : Medina,Ohio

Postby Mac Banks on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi Alex and John,

I am pulling for Richard in this match but with Ron King playing the Second Double Corner defense almost all the time with white; I am surprised that Richard has not led off with 9-14 or some other
move so he can prevent Ron from having an easy match. Maybe Richard's goal is only to draw Ron,
but the challenger has to win to take the title so I am hoping Richard will force Ron to draw other
moves. One of the reasons that GAYP has had a hard time in the past getting financial support is
that in a lot of the matches played, many duplicate games were in the match and made for a boring
match as John Acker mentioned in his post. Alex, if you were playing Ron, what would you do at
this stage to try and get Ron in a loss? By the way, has Ron taken the 2720 jump yet in the SDC?

All the best,
Mac
Mac Banks

Postby jimloy on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:23 pm

Yes, boring like a cobra trying to hypnotize a mongoose. I predict there will be action later.

The openings are being repeated, but maybe the games are not being repeated. In a GAYP match, the players have the opportunity to experiment and then replay the opening based upon their home analysis.
jimloy

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:49 pm

Mac Banks wrote:By the way, has Ron taken the 2720 jump yet in the SDC?
No. In all SDC games Ron jumped 28x19. If I would play some day GAYP match with Ron (can't imagine this happen), I would definetely try once for fun 11-15 24-19 15x24 28x19 7-11 19-15 etc :lol: There are aslo couple other funny ways.

It really doesn't matter if I get better or worse position. The main goal is - "shaking the boat", make him working and get tired. It should work on long run. Anyway, 9-14, 12-16 and 10-14 are also acceptable moves.

In difference with Richard - I have nothing to lose, nothing to win and nothing to prove in such match. It should be psychologicay a bit easy for me to play GAYP match with Ron.

jimloy wrote:Yes, boring like a cobra trying to hypnotize a mongoose. I predict there will be action later.
Well said, totally agree with Jim !

However ... yet, I don't see anythng wrong and anything boring in their play.Classic GAYP World Title Match. Every game they try a different line, no repeating games yet. Richard works hard but it seems (so far) like Ron is well prepared and armed in this opening.

It is not a Richard fault that he can't win a game, and the best he can do - do not lose it.

Anyway, match is in progress and everything is ahead.

Regards,

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Mac Banks on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:39 pm

Hello Alex,

Thanks for your comments. I know that Richard can't win if Ron doesn't make an mistake. What I was saying is that I don't think Ron is as knowledgeable on the three move openings as he is on GAYP and to get a win , I think Richard will have to move other than 1115 each time he starts with Black. Ron has probably played thousands more GAYP games than Richard as for a long time, that was the style of play in Barbadous before Ron came to the U. S. There is one advantage Richard has though on Ron, by Ron playing the Second Double Corner defense most of the time, Richard can go back and study his moves at night and see if he can find a better attack against Ron. I would move 9-14, 1014, or 1216 as you suggested to get Ron where he would have to work harder. I am not at the tourney , but I bet it is Richard who is having to work the hardest as he hasn't played nearly the GAYP style as much as Ron.
I like your style Alex as you are innovative and will try some moves that most master players wouldn't try and it works well for you as you get your opponent on some uncommon ground. I first met Richard when he was about ten and he was playing my daughter who was about ten in a Mississsippi Checkers tourney that Charles Walker promoted. Charles was always great at providing matches between children and Richard has improved a whole lot over the years and I think he will be one of the top master players in the world in years to come. Like some of the others have commented, Richard is one of the finest gentleman in the game of checkers.

All the best,
Mac
Mac Banks

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:22 pm

Should I say that Richard missed a win in game #6 ? :evil: :evil: :evil:

More ahead. I don't think it's a last missing in this match :lol:

Regards,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby BillyBoy on Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:47 pm

Mac, John did not mention that to Alex, I asked the advice of Alex saying "should he play safe or get more risky to try to get the win being he could not get the title on a draw". And I really did not get much of a answer from Alex. Billy
BillyBoy

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:14 am

BillyBoy wrote:I asked the advice of Alex saying "should he play safe or get more risky to try to get the win being he could not get the title on a draw". And I really did not get much of a answer from Alex. Billy
You right, but we've got an answer from Richard: he played safe and had Ron in lost ... which indeed not counted but has it's own points.

An interesting thing is that even after this fact Ron still played SDC in Game8 and fixed the hole in his play. After Game 6 was over, Joseph LoConti invited everyone to restaurant for lunch, but Ron refused and stayed in hotel until next game.

I wish I would be there around and accept Mr. LoConti offer !

Alex
Last edited by Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Mac Banks on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:21 am

Hi Billyboy,

Yes, I was also asking Alex what his stragedy would be if he
were playing Ron in the GAYP tourney? Billyboy, I have
enjoyed your posts over the years. I find them to be
refrehing. If you ever need to email me, my email
address is mbanks36@hotmail.com. For your information
I am now 71 years old and live in Las Vegas , Nevada.

All the best,
Mac Banks
Mac Banks

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:50 pm

Mac Banks wrote:Yes, I was also asking Alex what his stragedy would be if he were playing Ron in the GAYP tourney?
In GAYP tourney I would not go for any experiments with Ron and postpone them until games with other opponents :lol: In match I would try something fresh.

Game 9. R. King vs R. Beckwith, Glasgow, Draw

Game 10. R. Beckwith vs R. King, SDC, Draw
Remark from Alan Millhone: "Very interesting game"

Game 11. R. King vs R. Beckwith, Glasgow, Draw

Game 12, R. Beckwith vs R. King, SDC, Draw
Remark from Alan Millhone: "Played differently".
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby BillyBoy on Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:23 am

Hi Mac, Thanks alot for your e mail I appreciate it! And im glad you enjoyed my post over the years. I will be talking to you soon. Billy
BillyBoy

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:27 pm

Ron King 've got a lead ! After passing a half of event, both players changed the course. Ron King opened Game 13 by 11-16 and won the game, Richard having red pieces opened both games by 9-14.

Game13. R. King vs R. Beckwith, 11-16 22-18 16-19, Red Wins
Game14. R. Beckwtih vs R. King, 9-14 22-17 11-15, Souter, Draw
Game15. R. King vs R. Beckwith, Defiance, Draw
Game16. R. Beckwith vs R. King, 9-14, 22-17, 11-15, Souter, Draw

Amishman Joe Miller visiting today from Mt. Eden, Ohio
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby BillyBoy on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:41 pm

I was afraid of that but its not over yet. Now it dont matter to lose by one game or lose by alot of games so it should be no harm to step it up a bit. But its one excellent war we got here. I just hope he dont get discouraged that will make it harder. Billy
BillyBoy

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:48 pm

BillyBoy wrote:I just hope he dont get discouraged
I can confirm - he doesn't. And I agree with you - it's not over yet.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby jimloy on Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Tough match. Going into the match, I would guess that Richard was outclassed. But, the results don't show that. Well, back to the future.
jimloy

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:56 pm

Congratulations to Ron King for yet another defense of his title.

You will always be a King!

Also congratulations to Richard Beckwith, who proved that it takes a World Champion to defeat him by a hair.

I am sure you will have a shot for the title again, Rich!

Greetinx from old Europe, the "home" of checkers/draughts.

Ingo Zachos
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion