Another modification of an old theme

Discussion and analysis about certain positions.

Another modification of an old theme

Postby Bill Salot on Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:59 pm

William said, "We need some more of these problems ,if you please!!"

Here is another one shown at VA 2010. Again only John Webster was able to solve it, although others tried hard. Judging by the time it took John to solve it, I would rate it as slightly easier than the first one.

The theme was published in 1894 by the incomparable George H. Slocum 1855-1914. A modification of his setting was published in Ryan's American Checkerist 1944 and in Oldbury's Encyclopedia 1980. I made a further (very minor) modification with the following result:

Theme by G. H. Slocum
White to Play and Win

After you have solved it, change the Red king on 5 to a single piece and find a second way to win. The second way "reverses" the finale of the first.

After you have found the dual solutions to the second setting, change the single Red piece on 16 to a king. Then White can't win at all.

To me, that's entertainment! How about you?

Bill Salot
Bill Salot

Re: Another modification of an old theme

Postby Bill Salot on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:20 am

Has everyone given up on this one?
Bill Salot

Postby william on Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:42 pm

Bill I had actually solved this pretty quickly , roughly under 1 minute i would say This is due to the fact that the setting shouts out for a shot!! I was waiting to let someone else post the solution , but as noone has ( although i'm sure plenty of people did solve it ) i send solution ...14-9 , 22x15 , 23-18 15x22 then bring 3 to 12 and take all 4
txs again
william

Postby Bill Salot on Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:01 pm

But William, you only solved Part 1. How about Parts 2 and 3, which I repeat below?

"After you have solved it, change the Red king on 5 to a single piece and find a second way to win. The second way "reverses" the finale of the first.

After you have found the dual solutions to the second setting, change the single Red piece on 16 to a king. Then White can't win at all."

Bill Salot
Bill Salot

Return to Positions