Who, when, why did it begin for white/red pieces official?

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

Who, when, why did it begin for white/red pieces official?

Postby matthewkooshad on Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:45 pm

I liked Ingo's question of the numerical notation.

It made me curious who when and why did the red and white pieces become our official colors to use?

PS. Green is my favorite color. But, do you also know about the green colors for the squares?
matthewkooshad

Re: Who, when, why did it begin for white/red pieces officia

Postby Mr. Checkers on Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:03 am

Matthew most of the red and white checkers came out in the late 1920's and early 1930's. Newell Banks put out several of his red and white Catalin checker sets at that time--as did other companies. As for the colors red and white (softer colors) were chosen because these caused less eye strain. The traditional red and black checkers were harder on the eyes when playing for long periods of time; especially playing on a red and black checkerboard. The green and buff board (again softer colors) were selected for the same reasons. I don't have the book references at hand which talk about this, but I will see if I can locate them for you. (Cont.)
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby Mr. Checkers on Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:18 pm

Matthew I should say that the red and white checkers on a green and buff checkerboard seemed to be limited to America more than anywhere else. (Cont.)
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby Mr. Checkers on Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:40 pm

Matthew Willie Ryan advertised red and white Catalin checkers in his "Checkergram". (Cont.)
Mr. Checkers

Postby matthewkooshad on Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:50 pm

Very cool and interesting information! Thanks a lot Image
matthewkooshad

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia