How many states have you played tournaments in?

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

How many states have you played tournaments in?

Postby waynegober on Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:40 pm

Hi All,

I was thinking of the number of states I have been in to play checker tournaments. Thought it might be a fun thread to see who has been to the most states to play. I have been to 10 best I can come up with so far. They are Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Nevada, Illinois, Tennessee, Mississippi. I am hoping to add either Virginia or Alabama to the list this fall. Can you top this number?? Surely someone has been to more.

Wayne Gober
waynegober

Re: How many states have you played tournaments in?

Postby Palomino on Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:44 pm

Okay Wayne,

I've only played in 2 states, my first tournament in Illinois and my home state of Indiana and 3 states if you
let me count Ohio where I went to play but stayed in my room the whole time being sick and didn't get to play
any tournament games.

Anyway I admit total defeat in this contest but I will post proxy (due to his not using a computer) for the player
I think will be the eventual winner, my friend and your's, Wade Holder, from Fayetteville, North Carolina.
Wade Holder "Bill McClintock's (2005) Greensboro Checker Tournament"

I know that last year Wade subtracted Indiana and Nebraska from the list of states he had not played in.

I called Wade and he told me to give him 20 minutes or so to make his list, so shortly I will return.

Okay, I'm back and by the way Wade says his first checkers tournament was his home state's North Caroline State Checkers Tournament in 1976 but he gave me the names alphabetically so I will list them that way.

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia.

That's 19 states that he has been to for checkers tournaments plus he says he played checkers when he was in the military and stationed in Germany (1952) but they were just fun games.

I think another contender may be Ted Williamson from West Virginia, I believe Ted's first tournament was less than 4 years ago but he played in 17 or 18 tournaments his first year and a half. Ted would be a contender for the most tournament played in a single year anyway.
Ted Williamson "2010 Greesboro Open Checker Tournament"

Regards..."Pal'
Last edited by Palomino on Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:55 am, edited 11 times in total.
CHECKERS: The Mind Sport of Kings and Ordinary Men.
Palomino

Postby waynegober on Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:48 pm

Wow,

Wade Holder has been to a few hasn't he.... !!!!

Wonder if he can be topped? I need to bring the thread to Ted's attention so we can see how many he has

We may need a thread or use this one for most tournaments in a year

I think 4 is my record for one year.
waynegober

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:29 am

Wayne, I certainly can easy beat your baby record :lol:, but am well behind our "checkers travel-guru" Wade (19 States) ! WOW Thats quite a number. :hello1:

I just researched my record and here are some statistics.

My first official Anglo-American checkers State event was in September, 1996, Ohio, Massilon. Since then I participated in 114 events, including States, District, National's, International, Elimination and practice matches, World Title matches, etc.

Here is my record in State (only) tournaments:

1) Pennsylvania State - 13 times: 1997-2009
2) Ohio State - 11 times: 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002-2009
3) Tennessee State - 11 times: 1998-2000, 2002-2007, 2009-2010
4) Illinoic State - 8 times: 1997, 2003-2009
5) Kentucky State - 5 times: 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006
6) North Carolina - 5 times: 1997, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2010
7) Georgia State - 4 times: 1997-1999, 2001
8 ) Indiana State - 3 times: 1999, 2006, 2009
9) Alabama State - 3 times: 2006, 2008-2009
10) Virginia State - 2 times: 1997, 1999
11) Missouri State - 2 times, 2001, 2009,
12) South Carolina - 1 time, 2005
13) Mississippi State - 1 time: 2003
14) New York State - 1 time, 2005

I also played couple times in 4th District and Northern States event, but thats another story.

Counting State events only, so far I played in 14 different states 70 times.

I think couple times I played in 7 State events during one year.

I didn't win several State events before 2002. But since then in 53 events I was only 4 times second:

one time Ed Bruch finished higher than me in OH (2002), Richard Beckwith in IL (2008), Ron King in PA (2005), Michael Holmes in TN (2008). In 2007 I tied 1-2 place in OH State with Ron King.

I plan some day to add to my state list New England District or some state, Florida, Texas, Louisiana and maybe Kansas. But even in this case I can only tie with Wade who still has a good chance to extend his record !

All after all, I beleive Elbert Lowder should lead this list, but I don't have his record. Maybe JR can help us with numbers ?

Regards,

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby john reade on Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:11 am

What about different countries? I should think you've got the better of them there Alex!
john reade

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:52 am

john reade wrote:What about different countries? I should think you've got the better of them there Alex!
John, I didn't travel as much as Ron King (especially his European ehibition at the middle-end of 1990's) and I am well behind him at this point. I won Canadian Open 2006, Irish Open 2007 and was second in British Open 2002.

If any of European country want to invite me and pay expances (as they did for Ron) I am open for any offer. Irish Open 2010 organizers / sponsors still have a chance :lol:

But this is different story. Wayne Gober brought a specific question here regarding USA State tournaments only, not even Nationals.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby john reade on Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:26 am

Alex, Do you mean expenses? John.
john reade

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:58 am

john reade wrote:Alex, Do you mean expenses? John.
Yes, thanks for correction.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby waynegober on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:31 am

Alex wrote

But this is different story. Wayne Gober brought a specific question here regarding USA State tournaments only, not even Nationals.

I really didn't mean to exclude Nationals or any specifice event. I was just interested in seeing various players show how they had travelled to play. I hope to increase my baby record :) as time permits. Alex you have not been to Texas and I noticed it was on your possible list of places to go. Here's the deal..... you plan on coming to Dist. 8 and I will see that your room is paid for. As far as Kansas, right now they are in the same shape as Oklahoma.... no Tournies that I know of.

Wayne Gober

P.S. Just because some of you players have not got the record number of states doesn't mean you can't tell us how many. I find it interesting.
waynegober

Postby Palomino on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:56 am

I saw Ted Williamson online last night. He told me that he has been to 10 states to play checkers since he started playing in tournaments. I believe his first tournament was the (August) 2007 GAYP Tennessee Open , held in Morristown, Tennessee. That's 10 states in less than 3 years, so Watch out Wade!
Palomino

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:33 pm

I propose to create "10 States Club" :lol: 10 is a cutoff number. Everyone who played checkers in 10 or more different States join this club. Wade suppose to be a President :idea:

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Palomino on Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:51 pm

Alex,

I called Wade this evening and read the posts to him. He was thrilled and amused by it all. He feels honored that you have nomination him to serve as president of the "10 State Club" , but feels compelled to step forward and volunteer to also accept the duties of club secretary / treasurer as well. Feeling that no club of value has non-dues paying members he suggests that you , Wayne and Ted should each send him 10 cents every month or 1 dollar (a discounted rate) for your yearly membership. :lol:

Wade asked me if there was a way he could see and read these posts himself and I had him write down the thread address and told him to visit his local library and have one of the helper pull it up on a computer for him. he's a bit excited about the fact that we have made a little fuss of his checkers playing travels. :)

"PaL"

BTW:
Wade would very much like it if you fellas could send your dues payment in the form of a N. Carolina Gold Dollar.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... WznAe-_c0m

And should you prefer the easy pay monthly plan, he will accept these North Carolina Ten Cents notes.
Palomino

Postby Irma Sierra on Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:00 am

I have played 4 times out of my country :wink:
just lady.......
Irma Sierra

Postby kim willis on Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:10 pm

I was just thinking of how many I have played in threw out the years. My list might be as long but for me as a woman I think there isn't many of us in the Checker World. Here is my list:

Niagra Falls NY
Las Vegas nevada
Missouri
illinois
Tennessee
Oklahoma
N.C
S.C
Ohio

Out of the Country
Barbadoes
Prague Czech Rep
Beijing China
and this year Ireland

But this year will probably be my last year attending tournaments out of the country. I will play then only in the states and referee where I am needed.

Kim
kim willis

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:04 pm

Countries where I played:

USSR
Netherland
USA
Canada
Barbados
England
Scotland
Ireland
Northern Ireland
China

If we consider all former USSR Republic as 15 independent countries (today), I played at least in 10 of them ...
Alex_Moiseyev

Next

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia