Help Needed with Basic Checkers reprint

Place to put books, transcripts, etc. for sale

Help Needed with Basic Checkers reprint

Postby chipschap on Wed May 05, 2010 8:14 pm

I am working on a newly typeset edition of all seven parts of Basic Checkers which we (John Acker and I) wish to have available in book form (paper, not ebook) in time for the memorial tournament. I am quite far behind but now working several hours a day on this, bugging my poor old eyes out staring at the screen and keyboard.

The intent is to sell the book at a price which recovers cost and donate anything more to youth checkers; this is a non-profit exercise.

I do need some limited help with checking some questionable passages. If you own a printed copy of Basic Checkers and able to work with word processing software, and are willing to donate perhaps 10 hours of your time between mid-May and mid-June checking some pages of copy, all in return for just an acknowledgement(!), please let me know as soon as you can: bobnewell@bobnewell.net.

You would be helping with an effort that will hopefully honor RLF's memory by putting a classic back into circulation, and perhaps put a few dollars into the youth fund.

Thanks!
chipschap

Re: Help Needed with Basic Checkers reprint

Postby jaguar72 on Wed May 05, 2010 9:22 pm

Mr. Newell,

Alas, I don't have a printed copy of Basic Checkers; however, as I'm sure you know, the whole thing is online at http://home.clara.net/davey/basicche.html.

However, I am making the assumption that this online version will not be suitable for the type of copy-checking you need. If there is a workaround, please let me know.

V/R,

Gary Jenkins/jaguar72
il faut (d'abord) durer...
jaguar72

Postby tommyc on Thu May 06, 2010 8:29 am

Hi Bob..........I have some reprints of Basic Checkers available (230 pages in total spiral)but i can send you the "ready to print" version if its any help to you and you can print you own copys.This in conjunction with Jim Loys Basic Checker corrections "book" may be another option.
Let me know if this is suitable or helpful.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby chipschap on Thu May 06, 2010 6:57 pm

Tommy, a single reprint copy (hopefully all 7 parts?) would be what I need the most. I am working on a newly typeset version. Could you please email me at bobnewell@bobnewell.net so I can arrange to get a copy from you as soon as possible? I will reimburse your costs. Thanks!
chipschap

Return to Checkers Books and Equipment