"Stove Checkers"--answer

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

"Stove Checkers"--answer

Postby Mr. Checkers on Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:34 pm

One of the neatest things one comes across in collecting these old checker sets is when you find a really old checker set that is in its original box and in excellent condition. In the 1880's a small embossed wooden set was put out by this famous stove company. The symbol embossed on the checkers is also the companies name. "Checker Trivia question of the Day". What is the symbol? (Cont.)
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Re: "Stove Checkers"

Postby Mr. Checkers on Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:37 pm

This is probably to hot of a subject for checkers players, but my furry friends outside in the cold of the snow would surely enjoy it. (Cont.)
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

"Stove Checkers"

Postby Palomino on Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:53 pm

I have to say this has turned out to be a tuff nut to crack! I have the answer now but before I post it, I want to wait and see if anyone else can figure this out.

Regards, "Pal" Bucker
Palomino

Re: "Stove Checkers"

Postby Palomino on Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:56 pm

The answer is an acorn is embossed on one side of the checkers, they were put out to promote "ACORN STOVES" by RATHBONE, SARD & COMPANY.
I found a picture of an old box complete with all of the checkers.
Close up images of the checkers.
Regards, "Pal" Bucker
Palomino

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia