Book Review

Upload and share images and games amongst fellow checker players.

Book Review

Postby Jay H on Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:18 pm

I thought I would share this little story....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

A co-worker recently approached me and stated...." I heard you are an expert Checkers player......" :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:
I quickly educated him that I am far from an expert, but I do enjoy the game in many different ways. :!:
He asked me about the "official rules", since he had just received a set of Checkers for Christmas.
He had been playing over the Christmas vacation, and was beating everyone in his family. Had won over 40 games straight, in fact. 8)
Of course, once he learned that he was playing with rules that he made up, he was somewhat deflated, yet still confident that he could "take me down". :!: :!:
I have heard this many times of course, but what made this different was that he was playing mostly with his 11 year old son. I told him about a very good beginner's book....."How To Beat Granddad At Checkers", and that I had a copy he could take home and show to his son.
They both worked their way though the book, and the son Alex , enjoyed the book very much. So much so that he did a book report on it...

They have since purchased a regulation sized and colored board and pieces, and a copy of "The Wonderful World Of Checkers And Draughts."
And the father informs me that his son can now beat him....!!!!
I have an appointment sometime over the coming summer to meet them both for some fun games.....

Jay H
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam !!!
Jay H

Re: Book Review

Postby JR Smith on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:35 am

Believe it or not... the best way to grow checkers, start them young.

Way to go Jay!
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
JR Smith

Return to Checker Sharing