Questions on ACF Home Page Checker Problems

Discussion and analysis about certain positions.

Re: Questions on ACF Home Page Checker Problems

Postby B Salot on Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:46 pm

Josh, Please correct the title of the outstanding problem you just posted on the ACF home page. The composer was Jesse B. Hanson, not Ryan.

The problem did appear as No. 1 in Ryan's Scientific Checkers Made Easy, and I believe it was always Ryan's favorite. Pask gave it a place of honor in his "Key Endings", where he titled it "PROBLEM GEM - BY JESSE HANSON".

Also add "White Wins" at the end of Note D.

I have more to say about the setting itself and its composer, but it will have to be said later when I find time.

Bill Salot
B Salot

Postby B Salot on Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:35 pm

Tommy, Thanks for your quick solution to CLINCHER UNKNOWN.

Now try this. I call it CLINCHER OLDIE because, to the best of my knowledge, it is the oldest setting that ends in the CLINCHER mandown win. Of course an older one may show up anytime. I am still searching.

This setting was not included in the article where I found CLINCHER ANCESTOR, CLINCHER STROKE, and CLINCHER UNKNOWN.

Instead it was published in the American Checker Review, Volume 2, March 1, 1889 Issue, Problem Number 8. It was only the second problem ever published by George H. Slocum, a concert violinist, who went on to become recognized as one of the greatest checker problem composers ever.

Notice White is a man up. In order to force the CLINCHER mandown win, White has to be generous. That should be more than enough to put you on track to the win.

CLINCHER OLDIE
George H. Slocum
White to Play and Win

Who will be first to post its solution?

I'll follow it with the last and most acclaimed of this collection.

Bill Salot
B Salot

Postby Jay H on Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:28 pm

Greetings Bob...
Glad to see you posting on the forum !!!!

With my limited problem solving ability, without computer aid,and trying to "sight-solve"......if I were in a game, and were to venture a move, I would go.....
27-23....??? :?: :?: :?:
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam !!!
Jay H

Postby B Salot on Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:03 pm

Jay, If you did, I would jump 19-26. Then what? Bill Salot
B Salot

Postby Jay H on Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:12 pm

B Salot wrote:Jay, If you did, I would jump 19-26. Then what? Bill Salot

Still trying to sight solve.....
13-9, 6-13 (I think Red would make this jump next, or else give two away), then 18-15, 22-29, 31-22......
The single white piece now having the move on the red king, and the white king on 22 holding the two pieces on the single corner side

How did I do ?
Still on sight without setting it up on a board......I am sure there is something I do not see...lol!
Jay H

Postby B Salot on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:17 pm

Jay,

Yup! When you get it, you know you got it! But it took thinking out-of-the-box!

Most "Slocums" are like that. I'll drop[ another on you shortly.

Bill Salot
B Salot

Postby Jay H on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:24 pm

B Salot wrote:Jay,

Yup! When you get it, you know you got it! But it took thinking out-of-the-box!

Most "Slocums" are like that. I'll drop[ another on you shortly.

Bill Salot

Hey Bill,
Just goes to show, even a blind squirrel can find an acorn now and then.....lol!!!
Glad to see you are back in the game !!!

Regards

Jay H
Jay H

Postby B Salot on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:52 pm

Let's wrap this up with CLINCHER BEAUTY, the last and most acclaimed of the clan.

This was George H Slocum's third published problem. It was published in the American Checker Review, just two weeks after his second published problem (CLINCHER OLDIE). Mr. Slocum apparently couldn't get that mandown finish out of his head!

But this one was special. It was later picked up and republished many times, often with accolades. Here are the times, places, and comments of which I am aware. And I am sure there are more. My message adds to the list.

1. March 15, 1889, American Checker Review, Volume 2, Problem 15
2. Circa 1900, Moline Dispatch
3. June 1900, Draughts World, Volume 15, Number 42 (New Series), Problem 310. The editor said, "Our Yankee Cousin again gives us a taste of his qualities as a problem composer."
4. 1905, Atwell's "Scientific Draughts", Problem 197
5. 1909, "Horsfall's Problem Book", Problem 201
6. Nov.-Dec. 1913, Jordan's "American Checker Player". The editor put it on the cover.
7. 1923, Wendemuth's "Checker Companion", Problem 89
8. Circa 1940, Rubin's "Mercury" column. The editor called it "A very dainty treatment".
9. 1943, Wiswell's "Checker Magic", Problem 83. Wiswell titled it "A BEAUTY OF THE BOARD" and added "George H. Slocum was undoubtedly one of the greatest, if not the greatest, Problemists of all time. His works have been more widely copied than those of any other Composer. In fact, many positions are known as Slocum Problems because of the resemblance they bear to his work. For simplicity and beauty, it would be hard to beat No. 83."
10. November 1945, "Wood's Checker Player", Volume 9, Page 42, Problem D. This was a copy of the article in Rubin's "Mercury" column (Item 8 above).

Please let me know if you run across it in any other publications.

Ladies and gentlemen: Here it is, the most beautiful member of the CLINCHER family:

CLINCHER BEAUTY
George H. Slocum
White to Play and Win

No more hints! Who will be the first to post the solution?

Bill Salot
B Salot

Postby B Salot on Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:37 pm

John, Yup!
That was no guess. That was insight! Many of us are blind to such tricks.
Bill Salot
B Salot

Postby B Salot on Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:40 pm

Help! I'm confused! CLINCHER ANCESTOR is in Gould's Problem Book, Third Edition, Page 13, Number 35, again credited to Alonzo Brooks.

1. I looked through my copy of that book, but could find no publication date! Can anybody tell me the publication dates of any or all of the editions of Gould's Problem Book?

2. When looking through it, I found an INDEX listing persons credited with the problems that are in the book. G. H. Slocum was credited in that INDEX with just one problem (No. 978). But when I looked up No. 978, I found it was instead a problem by A. Schaefer! Then I went through all 1084 diagrams and did not find a single one credited to Slocum! Can anybody tell me whether there was a Slocum problem in either of the earlier editions of Gould's Problem Book?

I would really appreciate help on those two questions.

Bill Salot
B Salot

Postby B Salot on Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:58 pm

One more has been found! Call it CLINCHER AFTERTHOUGHT. It completes, I hope, a nice little collection of related problems under this topic. I doubt that any more exist, but I could be wrong again.

It was published November 15, 1889, by George H. Slocum, in the American Checker Review, Volume 2, Problem 171.

It was Slocum's third problem with this same mandown finish, all in a span of less than 9 months. It is perhaps more difficult than his first two (CLINCHER OLDIE and CLINCHER BEAUTY), or perhaps not.

If you keep in mind that White is a man up, you can anticipate Red's forced defense.

CLINCHER AFTERTHOUGHT
by George H. Slocum
White to Play and Win

As usual, the question is who will be the first to post the correct solution? Can you do it before the New Year arrives, which is about 5 hours from now on the East Coast?

Bill Salot
B Salot

Postby Jay H on Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:30 pm

B Salot wrote:One more has been found! Call it CLINCHER AFTERTHOUGHT. It completes, I hope, a nice little collection of related problems under this topic. I doubt that any more exist, but I could be wrong again.

It was published November 15, 1889, by George H. Slocum, in the American Checker Review, Volume 2, Problem 171.

It was Slocum's third problem with this same mandown finish, all in a span of less than 9 months. It is perhaps more difficult than his first two (CLINCHER OLDIE and CLINCHER BEAUTY), or perhaps not.

If you keep in mind that White is a man up, you can anticipate Red's forced defense.

CLINCHER AFTERTHOUGHT
by George H. Slocum
White to Play and Win

As usual, the question is who will be the first to post the correct solution? Can you do it before the New Year arrives, which is about 5 hours from now on the East Coast?

Bill Salot

Bill,
I have given myself twenty minutes......and cannot find it (sight-solving)...I am anxious to see the solution....!!!!
Great stuff!!!

Regards

Jay H
Jay H

Postby B Salot on Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:21 pm

I found the answers to the 2 Gould's Problem Book questions I asked on December 26, 2009, above.

I found both answers in the Market Place forum, under the topic of "Free checker books via Google", where, on October 6, 2009, John Acker had posted this terrific link: http://books.google.com/books?q=subject ... 2&as_brr=3

Thanks, John.

Bill Salot
B Salot

Postby B Salot on Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:31 pm

Jay H, sorry you had trouble with CLINCHER AFTERTHOUGHT. I thought by now somebody would have come through to rescue you. It can be a sight solver if you don't have blinders on.

Look at it this way. You are a man up. A Red King is threatening to jump one of your White kings.

What are you going to do about it, and when you do, what is Red going to do to get even? And when he does, how are you going to put a White king on 22 for the CLINCHER finish?

You still can be first, and win first prize of a free "Attaboy!"

Bill Salot
B Salot

Postby william on Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:28 pm

Happy new year everyone

6-2 7-3 8-11 1-5 9-6 5-1 32-27 1x10 11-15 10x19 27-23 wins

very simple if you know what you are looking for ( that is the real problem in checkers)

wdocherty
william

PreviousNext

Return to Positions