Elementary Ending

Discussion and analysis about certain positions.

Re: Elementary Ending

Postby MostFamousDane on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:55 am

JohnAcker wrote:It's relatively simple, but would be a good one for beginners to study. Red to move and win.

Hi John

You must have made a mistake in the FEN - what you have posted is something that can be forced into a complicated first position in utero with extra pieces.

Here is an example of an elementary ending

W:W30,25:B18,17.
Sune
MostFamousDane

Re: Elementary Ending

Postby MostFamousDane on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:51 am

JohnAcker wrote:Sune, hence "relatively" simple-- the win is long, but the concept is straightforward. Besides, last time I posted an ending closer in difficulty to your diagram, it was immediately criticized for being too easy.

Hi John

Sorry if I was a bit negative - maybe it was because I couldn't sight solve it :). It is a very nice problem but it is neither simple or elementary and not at all for beginners. That is why I couldn't solve it I was looking for a simple shoot since you said it was easy. If you already know the first position it is of course "relatively" easy - but it doesn't make sense to catagorize a problem as being easy "as long as you already know the answer before hand"! I can guarantee that there is not a lot of players in the world who would be able to solve a long first position without knowing the first position.

Anyway keep'em coming
Sune
MostFamousDane

Return to Positions