Upgrading phpbb

Give your comments and suggestions about the website.

Upgrading phpbb

Postby matthewkooshad on Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:33 pm

Good job recovering the forum, Jason. I was a little shocked when I saw someone had used an exploit on it. It is less likely to happen again if you upgrade the forum to a newer version.
[quote]Powered by phpBB 2.0.10
matthewkooshad

Re: Upgrading phpbb

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:54 pm

After I'vee seen forum came back - I just wanted to post smile only :lol: :lol: :lol: , but then decided that it maybe deleted some day because of non informative :mrgreen: message.

It was obvious, that hackers didn't took a full control on everything, and this was a good sign for me from the beginning.

Good job, Jason !

Certainly someone offered hackers service.

Alex
Last edited by Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Re: Upgrading phpbb

Postby Jason Solan on Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:08 pm

No, this was a random attack by a group of people that search for phpbb boards with this known exploit. I've seen it before on other forums.

Hopefully nobody clicked on any links while it was hacked. Looks like they redirected you a download, which very easily could have been a virus of some sort.

The hack only changed the way the site looked, nothing more. No data was lost and everything was easily recoverable.

I'm not sure how long the site was down. It only took about 5-10 minutes to fix, but i didn't see it until late tonight. Sorry for the inconvienance.

I'm looking into the upgrade.
Jason Solan
Site Admin

site restored

Postby liam stephens on Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:23 pm

Great to see the site up and running again so quickly, and to learn that it was a random attack. Thank you Jason for refuting any insinuation, that members of the checker community might have had a part in it.
liam stephens

Upgrading of site

Postby liam stephens on Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:26 pm

Hi Jason, when upgrading the site, as well as including the viewing counter facility, would it be possible to add a LOLometer feature. That would be especially useful in the Checker Trivia section. :lol:
liam stephens

Return to Comments/Suggestions