"Some People Can Do It All"--answer

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

"Some People Can Do It All"--answer

Postby Mr. Checkers on Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:48 pm

One of the things that I liked about Draughts World was that it was more than just a book of draughts play and strategy. There was something of interest in each issue for everybody. "Checker Trivia question of the Day". This fellow is an ardent collector of fine checker literature--and he also plays a good game of checkers at the tournaments--and then on top of all that he writes beautiful checker poetry. Who is he? (Cont.)
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Re: "Some People Can Do It All"

Postby Palomino on Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:26 pm

I believe I know the answer to this one, I think a great deal of this fellow.
I have fond memories of this man as being my opponent in the first round of the very first tournament I played in. I'm sure there are others who will know who this is.

Regards, "Pal" Bucker
Palomino

"Some People Can Do It All"

Postby Palomino on Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:37 am

Readers of the "MISSOURI CHECKER ASSOCIATION NEWSLETTER" should know who this is, if it's who I think it is.

Regards, "Pal" Bucker
Palomino

"Some People Can Do It All"

Postby Mr. Checkers on Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:42 pm

I should add that this gentlemen is the caretaker of one of the finest collections of checker literature in the U.S. that still remains in private hands.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby rich beckwith on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:06 pm

Yes, I am also thinking of a certain Missouri player!
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Postby Mr. Checkers on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:53 pm

If this gentlemen was a wallpaper hanger (which he is not) he could probably wallpaper his entire home with his very extensive collection of checker newspaper chippings and columns that he has collected over the years. (Cont.)
Mr. Checkers

Postby Mr. Checkers on Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:19 pm

Besides playing checkers one of his favorite pastimes is raising tomatoes, which he gives away to friends. (Cont.)
Mr. Checkers

Postby Palomino on Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:20 pm

Some know this fine gentleman as Poet Laureate of The Missouri Checker Association.

Regards, "Pal Bucker"
Palomino

Postby Palomino on Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:09 am

I've been waiting for someone from the Missouri Checker Association to name this fine gentleman, for many years he organized and sponsored checker tournaments in Wentzville Missouri including several of the Missouri State Tournaments played there. It's very obvious to me the answer to this question is Mr. Gene Rader. and I'd like to say it's a great joy for me to have him as a friend.

Regards, "Pal" Bucker
Palomino

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia