For Jan - A Tinsley anecdote.

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

For Jan - A Tinsley anecdote.

Postby liam stephens on Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:07 pm

Thank you Jan for your kind comments below.
Here is an anecdote which is probably already well known, but is worth repeating.
In 1957 Dr Marion Tinsley made a goodwill tour of Britain and Ireland (the year prior to his match with Derek Oldbury). He played several simultaneous and exhibition matches during the tour. One of these was at the St Bride Institute in London, which was the headquarters of the London Draughts Association.
In a simultaneous exhibition he allowed one opponent to consult Tescheleit’s Masterplay when making his moves. Well, after about half a dozen moves or so,Tinsley, in rather apologetic manner, after he had made his move, said to his opponent “I’m afraid you won’t find that move in the book”, and, of course, went on to win the game.

Another story that I heard, possibly apocryphal, was about a certain kibitzer by the name of Harrington. Now Harrington , (a real person by the way) who was a player of very moderate ability, loved to tell the experts what moves they should have made, and had the unfortunate habit of leaning across the table and grabbing hold of the player’s arm, pulling it back so as to retract the move in question. He would then proceed to show the experts where they had gone wrong!
Well ,Tinsley, after some games, was analysing various positions that had come up, for the benefit of those present, when who walked into the room, but the bold Harrington and he proceeded to tell both Tinsley and the onlookers what moves should have been played.
liam stephens

bold player

Postby kiwinurse on Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:50 pm

haha liam id have liked to see the expressions on their faces, i wonder what tinsley said
kiwinurse

Re: For Jan - A Tinsley anecdote.

Postby Lindus Edwards on Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:07 pm

These are the sort of posts I love to read. Not at all dry or boring but thoroughly entertaining.
Many thanks Liam for adding quality to this section of the forum.
Lindus Edwards

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:19 pm

[quote:549bba0674="liam stephens"]Tinsley ... said to his opponent “I’m afraid you won’t find that move in the book[/quote:549bba0674]

I don't think it's anekdot, I beleive this is a true story. I heard it also from someone. What we can learn from this story - Dr. Tinsley studied very intesively "Master Play" and all other good books available at the moment, memorized everything, and improved many play. Book greatly helped him to do so.

In other hands, we have an opposite example- his opponent, who didn't study the book, otherwise - he would not need it during the game. His opponent didn't study book, didn't have any innovations, and as fact - didn't meet properly new move.

[color=red:549bba0674][b:549bba0674]Knoweldges are power[/b:549bba0674], [/color:549bba0674]thanks for sharing this with us, Liam ! And of course - thanks for trying to promote my book, which has much more accuracy, than Master Play

Marion Tinsley also would find my book interesting, because it has many corrections on basic publish play, adopted for decades in his era, including few corrections of Dr. Tinsley.

Regards,

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Lindus Edwards on Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:44 pm

An "anecdote" is always based upon a true story :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lindus Edwards

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:47 pm

Lindus Edwards wrote:An "anecdote" is always based upon a true story

In Russian language the word "anekdot" has the same meaning as "joke" :wink:
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Lindus Edwards on Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:01 pm

You must forgive my lack of familiarity with the Russian language.
The next time I post I shall do so in my native tongue - Welsh. It is, I assure you, an easy language to understand :lol:
Nos da Alex! English translation: Good night Alex!
Lindus Edwards

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:10 pm

Spokoinoy nochi, Lindus (Good night on Russian)
Alex_Moiseyev

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia