Photos from Beijing

Upload and share images and games amongst fellow checker players.

Photos from Beijing

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:46 am

I opened this topic, so everyone who has any good photos for sharing, can post them here

I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Re: Photos from Beijing

Postby tommyc on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:15 pm

I dont have any photos but watever happened to the green and white boards and red and white pieces \WCDF regulation BYE LAWS.......THIS JUST STINKS.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby tommyc on Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:59 am

This was the recent IDA Newsletter editors take on it...............

Apparently there was a shortage of boards and pieces at this tournament and sub-standard equipment had to be borrowed from the Chinese authorities. This would seem to be substantiated by the picture of the winner Alex Moiseyev that appeared on the official WMSG site, where he is shown sitting beside a board with those unattractive black and beige coloured wooden pieces exhibited.

It is reported that the WCDF has agreed to invest in regulation white and red pieces and green and buff boards for future events. However, recent news indicates that the UK authorities in London for the 2012 Olympics have declined to host the event and another venue may have to be found.

HMMMMMMMMMMM......Reminds me of the joke abt the the horse and the stable door??
tommyc

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:02 pm

tommyc wrote:board with those unattractive black and beige coloured wooden pieces exhibited.
I really like and enjoyed boards and pieces which we used in Beijing - first time for many years when I used a professional equipment!

Tommy, you said "not attarctive", and this is absolutely true and is a great thing. Equipment (pieces and board) muct be not attractive and neutral - this doesn't take away players attention. Having bright pieces or squares, extra spots on boards, aggressive contrast of colors must be prohibited.

tommyc wrote:However, recent news indicates that the UK authorities in London for the 2012 Olympics have declined to host the event and another venue may have to be found.
I heard two versions where next WMSG event will be held: Sankt Petersburgh in Russia or Brazilia.

tommyc wrote:Reminds me of the joke abt the the horse and the stable door??
Never heard this joke. Can you share it here ?

Regards,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby tommyc on Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:20 pm

You must have heard the one abt (the WCDF intending to buy suitable boards after the event) i.e...............some one shut the door AFTER the horse had bolted Alex.

Well heres another ..................have you heard the one abt spec-savers................ cos i think you should pay them a visit if you think these Mickey-Mouse boards are "professional" LOL .....you wouldnt be allowed to use them in a creche nvr mind a professional Ty..............heheh we ll soon be back to bottle tops and brush shafts wouldnt that be good for the IMAGE of draughts ...........lol.
tommyc

Postby liam stephens on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:34 pm

Ha - ha, Tommy :)

Reminds me of the old farmyard fable about the Fox and the Hen.

Hen: " Don't eat me Renard, I'm too fat."

Fox: " Some like it fat and some like it lean ! "
liam stephens

Postby tommyc on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:54 pm

yOU have a hidden talent Liam......................but is it professional enuffffffffff??? Watch that foxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
tommyc

Postby tommyc on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:21 pm

Alex musta been having a brain storm when he said he like em chocalte boards gee...........good enuff to eat,yu gotta be joking..........dump the lot ,or export them to Russia.
tommyc

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:06 pm

tommyc wrote:Alex musta been having a brain storm when he said he like em chocalte boards
Not really brain storm, just nostalgia about professional equipment ! I played on such wooden boards most part of my life. Green-white boards which we are using mostly in ACF events are OK, but nothing can better than one on the above photo !

Yea-a-a ... where is my 17 ? :lol: :roll: 8) :shock:

Regards,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby john reade on Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:38 am

Tommy, If you look at any of the pictures from Beijing from any of the other draughts tournaments or the chess tournaments you will find that nobody else uses green and white boards. We are in a world of our own here. We have used black and white boards at the Welsh Open for 2 years running now and they caused absolutely no problem. Once you get started on a game you just don't notice what colour the boards and pieces are. John.
john reade

Postby liam stephens on Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:04 am

Hi John,

Black and white pieces on black and white boards look truly awful in my view, and I would refuse to play a game with them. At the Welsh Open there were some off colour boards and pieces which I avoided using and as I recall it, when paired against Lindus Edwards we requested a change of board and pieces to the regulation colours.
I do not believe it would be good for the game to revert to the cracker barrel image.

Regards - Liam.
liam stephens

Postby tommyc on Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:04 am

I agree Liam well said and John and Aleax might have been Pinky n Perky in a former life....hehehehe or are they from the Dynosaur Age.....................we ll be playing with brush shafts next Ty!!..........morning all.

Jeepers Liam sure the played on the WHITE SQUARES IN Knighton..............hehehe God Save Ireland
tommyc

Postby john reade on Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:38 am

So the rest of the draughts world is in the dinosaur age? Black and white pieces on black and white boards are truly awful?

Actually the dinosaurs were the best at draughts. Even Tinsley never took a game off one. Being green of course they just couldn't see the green and white boards. This is why the green and white boards were introduced towards the end of the middle ages. Dinosaurs obviously never played 100 squares, or chess.
john reade

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:56 am

I really don't worry about age - is it dinosaur time or modern years. The only requirements I have to board, pieces. colours, light and sound in playing room - everything should be "neutral", not aggressive and do not take out attention and break concentration.

I don't like anything written on the boards (notation!), spots, dirties, scratches etc. Also some pieces sometimes have "two color" design with strips ... this is horrible.

White and green colors are OK, but the ones from Beijing which we see on the above photo are obviously better match requirements.

For long period of time this is probably first time when me and Dr. John Reade are on the same side of barricade :lol:

Regards,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby john reade on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:23 pm

Thanks Alex. I was getting worried I might be on my own on this one!
john reade

Next

Return to Checker Sharing