Percy Crabbe

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

Percy Crabbe

Postby liam stephens on Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:48 pm

Dear Mizdar Cheki,

You are probably right about the 'Victorian Days'. I had'nt realised that Percy Crabbe was 80 years old in 1948.

Jack Latham told an amusing story about his own early days. He was anxious to improve his playing ability, and asked Percy Crabbe to share his accommodation, so that he could get more practice. He lived in one of the Broughton Houses (a housing association of that period). Well the arrangement did not last for very long. Jack was a fastidious English gentleman, whereas Percy was a more rough and tumble character. When it came to performing the domestic chores Percy had no interest in such matters. They had some furious rows and in the end Jack and Percy went their separate ways.

Another player of that era who ought to be better remembered was
Andy Riley of Grays in Essex. He used to play at the pier in Southend-on-Sea. He took part in a major tournament there finishing ahead of severable notable players of the day. My memory on the details is a bit hazy, but Jim O' Brien (if he is looking in) who was a good friend of Andy's, could, I am sure tell you all about it.

Regards - Liam Stephens.
liam stephens

Re: Percy Crabbe

Postby Lindus Edwards on Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:44 pm

Liam, your post evokes memories of the long-distant past when my father told me about Percy Crabbe, Jack Latham and the Roughton House story. Jack certainly was a fastidious person as I well recall :lol:
Being in an impecunious state my late father was obliged to spend a week at Roughton House in order to play in the 1948 English Open.
It was in that old, dilapidated building which housed many of the poorest of society that my father met Percy Crabbe.
Although the place only served as a temporary accommodation for my father it was, I believe, a permanent dwelling for Percy.
I think Percy was probably in his late seventies in 1948.
The long walk from London to Scotland and back is a true story. If I am not mistaken Percy lost in the final of the Scottish Open.
Lindus Edwards

Percy Crabbe

Postby liam stephens on Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:45 pm

Thank you Lindus for those memories. It only goes to show my own faulty recollections in mixing up Broughton with Roughton. I am sure Roughton is correct. Jack Latham had many stories about the players of those days, but unfortunately I never wrote them down. I do recall him saying that he knew M F Tescheleit (author of Masterplay) who was a master tailor by profession and that he had served an apprenticeship under him.
liam stephens

Postby Lindus Edwards on Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:55 am

You are right Liam. It was called Broughton House in fact.
My father played Andy Riley in the final round of the British Postal Championship about thirty years ago. Dad won by 1 win and 5 draws but he certainly worked hard for it.
Andy was sadly confined to his house permanently due to illness and I therefore did not meet him. He was a really great correspondence player who will be remembered.
Lindus Edwards

Postby Guest on Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:14 am

Thank you Mr Stephens and Mr Edwards. You really know your stuff :)

history

Postby kiwinurse on Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:43 pm

Yes Liam, Lindus and Mr Chekki,im enjoying your tales and hope youll tell some more
kiwinurse

Postby Lindus Edwards on Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:19 pm

As you know Jan, Liam and I have been playing checkers for many years and therefore have countless stories to impart :wink:
I just enjoyed reading Liam's excellent post about Dr Marion Tinsley. Simply wonderful.
Lindus Edwards

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia