"Our Most Admired Checker Gentlemen of 2005"

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

"Our Most Admired Checker Gentlemen of 2005"

Postby Mr. Checkers on Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:16 pm

Most of you that play checkers are only in tune with the names of the great players that have left their mark upon our game--the Alexs, Lowders, Bruchs, Lavertys etc. But checkers is much more than a game of moves across the board. It is a game that involves interesting people, from all walks of life, that go far beyond just playing checkers, i.e. the publishers of checker magazines, authors of checker books, articles and poems, checker historians and collectors, promoters of checkers tournaments, checkers websites, administrators of checkers organizations--and the list goes on and on. So in consideration of all of these fine people that have made many contributions to our game we have chosen the following person as being "Our Most Admired Checker Gentlemen of 2005". This scholarly, kind, quiet gentlemen is a virtual walking encyclopedia of checker knowledge. Although we have only just recently meant him I wish we would have meant many years earlier. He not only loves checkers and its history, but he loves fine chocolates too. "Checker Trivia" question of the day. Of whom are we speaking? (Cont.)
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Re: "Our Most Admired Checker Gentlemen of 2005"

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:27 pm

Ms. Becky wrote:but he loves fine chocolates too.

Hmmm ... I didn't know Dr. Richard Beckwith likes chocolate ! :lol: Is it really true ? If he doesn't worry much about sugar and holesterol, I can gift him next time by Russian made chocolate - so delicious, that you can eat it with cover :lol: :?:
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Re: "Our Most Admired Checker Gentlemen of 2005&

Postby Mr. Checkers on Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:01 pm

Alex remember your visit to the "Betty Jane Candy Company" during your brief visit here? Please try again with another guess!! (Cont.)
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby rich beckwith on Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:34 pm

Hmm, I think I know who it is, although I'm not sure about the chocolate part. I am thinking of a certain past ACF bulletin editor :) A fine gentlemen indeed.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Postby Palomino on Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:42 am

For me, this year I admire no one more than Bob Newell, he has put so much into and has done so much with his Webzine "The Checker Maven".
For the year 2005 no one has added more to my enjoyment of the game. :D :) :D :!:

and who doesn't like chocolates!

Regards, "Pal" Bucker
Palomino

Postby Mr. Checkers on Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:53 pm

Nice selection Pal, please try again. (Cont.)
Mr. Checkers

Re: "Our Most Admired Checker Gentlemen of 2005"

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:55 pm

Ms. Becky wrote:This scholarly, kind, quiet gentlemen is a virtual walking encyclopedia of checker knowledge.

Hmmm ... some are not scholarly, other are not quiet :idea: If you meant - Gerry Lopez, he can meet all criterias except one - he is not quite and is very, very active in his earlier 80's ! :lol:
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Mr. Checkers on Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:58 pm

Alex that was a nice guess, but you will have to give it another try my friend. (Cont.)
Mr. Checkers

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:39 pm

Not too many quite people around :lol: It could be either - MB or JL.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Mr. Checkers on Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:44 pm

Alex go back and read my original posting and then think about it--and give it another try. (Cont.)
Mr. Checkers

Postby rich beckwith on Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:49 am

With regard to Mr. Checkers original posting, I believe this unknown player (if it is who I think it is) was present in both Morecambe, England and Las Vegas for the last two International Matches against G.B-Ireland
Richard Beckwith
rich beckwith

Postby Mr. Checkers on Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:59 pm

Richard has given you an excellent hint here, so lets give this one a few more days of thought. (Cont.)
Mr. Checkers

Postby Mr. Checkers on Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:16 pm

"Renew your thinking and give this one a serious try fellows!!". (Cont.)
Mr. Checkers

Postby rich beckwith on Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:58 pm

OK, I will officially submit a guess (after my previous two hints) -- Mr. Al Darrow.

He is past bulletin editor, attended 2001 International Match in Morecambe as a guest and showed knowledge of his history of the game. He also attended 2005 Las Vegas International Match after enduring lengthy health problems, and even managed to contribute two draws despite all this!
Richard Beckwith
rich beckwith

Postby Mr. Checkers on Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:51 pm

Thank you so much Richard for submitting the correct answer to this interesting "Checker Trivia " question. Al Darrow is truly a fine gentlemen that is well deserving of this honor and recognition. (Cont.)
Mr. Checkers

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia