From Earl Hangen's Scrapbook....

Upload and share images and games amongst fellow checker players.

Re: From Earl Hangen's Scrapbook....

Postby JR Smith on Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:23 am

I have noticed on most of the scrapbook scans you post on forum the right side of the scan is cutting into the text or picture. Sometimes it is impossible to read because the side is cropped. Go back and look as several.
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
JR Smith

Postby Jay H on Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:05 pm

Greetings All !!
Here is a very nice article on Gerry LopezImage, sent by Gerry to Earl Hangen back in the early nineties....

ImageImageImage
The writer, Julia Jones did an excellent job with this article,IMHO....well written, insightful, treating both the game itself, and Mr. Lopez, with respect.
No corny catch phrases,no mention of cracker barrels, etc.
The game could certainly use more articles of this type in the mainstream media....as opposed to the "take your checkers and go home" type of drabble that was being written during the "Checkers is solved" fiasco from last year.

( Which now has our game being compared to tic tac toe, and no longer to ChessImage)

Kudos to Mr. Lopez for his continued hard work for the game...a true Checkerist of the highest order !!!

Comments welcomed, encouraged and appreciated !!!

Regards

Jay H
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam !!!
Jay H

Postby JR Smith on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:48 pm

I'm at Daytona Beach for a week and these two above post come through on their computer perfectly... hope it does on mine when I return home. Thanks for these artictles.
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
JR Smith

Postby Jay H on Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:09 am

Greetings All !
Here is an article from the past on Marion Tinsley ImageImageImage (seen in the photo "tuning up" for his upcoming match with Elbert Lowder) that was sent to Earl by his friend, Mr. Richard Fortman, for use in his (Earl's) "Wood's Ladder Report". :D :D
I have reproduced the article exactly as it appeared in the WLR, thus you can see the notation "Sent By Dick Fortman" at top right. (Among other notes)

Thanx Dick, and Thanx Earl !!!!!ImageImageImage
Enjoy :!:

And, AS ALWAYS, comments are welcomed,encouraged and appreciated !!!

Regards

Jay H
Jay H

Postby Jay H on Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:55 pm

Here is a copy of an article sent to Earl by Mr. Lopez...

Mr. Gerry Lopez ImageImageImage
Tops in my book :!: :!: :!:

Regards

Jay H
Jay H

Postby Jay H on Fri May 16, 2008 5:12 pm

Greetings all,
I was reading JR's excellent site, and found all of the info on Nebraska Checkers, and the Hall-of-Famer Ken Swanson.
Mr. Swanson was also an excellent mail player, who corresponded quite frequently with Earl Hangen, and sent Earl this article for his scrapbook.

I, myself, can relate to Mr. Swanson's statement ..."You learn a lot about a person by mail"....I can honestly state that some of the fondest memories of my ENTIRE LIFE are when I first started playing by mail, on Wood's Ladder. You really did get to know your opponent...at least I did, (and I guess it depended on your opponent, whether or not they were "sociable"..lol)
My first match was with Ellis beaver, and I learned so much about Checkers in the twenties and thirties, and his participation in it......we would write letters back and forth with each set of moves sent.......Good times.....
Back to the point of this post...

Congrats to Dave Stovie for his work in Nebraska !!
And, here's to Mr. Swanson :thumbup: :thumbup:

And to JR, and his excellent site !!

As always, comments appreciated !!

Regards

Jay H
Jay H

Postby fljaweiu on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Great! So all your personal records all laid out for the world to browse through!
fljaweiu

Previous

Return to Checker Sharing