"Checker Trivia"--answers

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

"Checker Trivia"--answers

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:49 am

First of all I would like to thank Pal Bucker for all of the research that he did to come up with some of the answers to our "Checker Trivia" questions. Secondly I will be giving only some of the answers today--please remind me if I have forgotten to answer some of them. So here we go: (1) Silent Checkers were made out of "Rubber" (2) Rockwell Prints--Checkers, Last Move and The Game (3) Purina checker set advertised "wheat flour" (4) Huntley-Palmer checker set advertised delicious "biscuits" (5) the electric razor shown on my checker set--"Norelco" (6) colorful cartoon spinach eating character--"Popeye the Sailor Man" (7) Wendemuth's Checker Companion--the checkerboard on the cover of some copies was inverted therefore the checkers appeared on the wrong squares (8) North Dakota Yearbook symbol--"swastika" (9) Champions who put out checker sets--"Wiswell, Banks and Hopper" (10) in the 1800's checkers were made of wood, paper, clay, celluloid and gutta percha (11) fishing trip--the checkerboard has posts on each square and the checkers have holes in them so that they will fit over the posts. Therefore the checkers stay in place as the boats rocks back and forth (12) "Emmett Kelly" was the clown shown on the figurine (13) people bought expensive old wooden checkerboards to decorate their home to give it that country look (14) the white gloves were from the Cleveland Public Library--to keep the acids from your hands from deteriorating the paper in old books (15) St. Petersburg was the original site for the Hall of Fame of Checkers in 1948 (16) Robert Pike gave a checkerboard and checkers away with the purchase of his book (17) "Aesops Fables" were shown on the wooden checkers from Colonial Williamsburg (18) the bathroom checkers were made of soap (19) Canadian checkers design--"Maple Leaf" (20) John Roger's sculpture--"Checkers Up On the Farm" (to be continued)
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Re: "Checker Trivia"--answers

Postby Palomino on Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:52 pm

Question No. 10,
"in the 1800s checkers were made of wood, paper, clay, celluliod and gutta percha"

"Gutta percha, or gum elastic, was first used during the mid-1850s to make billard balls and ocean cable insulation. Manufacturers borrowed foming and processing techniques from Mallyan natives. Shellac plastics, developed by Samuel Speck, also emerged during the mid-1800s and were used to create goods such as checkers, buttons and insulators." http://www.referenceforbusiness.com/ind ... ified.html
I didn't know that and I'm prob' not by myself, lol.

I would have had No. 8 correct if I had gone with my first hunch.

No. 9, I almost went with Millard Hopper, I guess I should have gone with my first hunch there also, lol.

Enjoyed it all, looking forward to finding out who the "millionaire-bellboy" was.

Regards "Pal" Bucker
Palomino

Re: "Checker Trivia"--answers

Postby Mr. Checkers on Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:01 pm

Pal please let me know if I have forgotten to post the answers to some earlier "Checker Trivia" question. (Cont.)
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia