The book with the picture of Washington -- answer

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

The book with the picture of Washington -- answer

Postby Pedro Saavedra on Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:18 pm

I went for my bi-weekly raid at the local library book sale (much to my wife's chagrin) and was surprised to find a checkers book I was not familiar with. It has a picture of George Washington before the Table of Contents. Maybe this one is too easy, but I had not seen the particular book before. Does anybody know the title and author?
Last edited by Pedro Saavedra on Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pedro Saavedra

Re: The book with the picture of Washington

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:41 pm

Good "Checker Trivia" question Pedro!! I think that most of us will agree that George Washington certainly plays an important role in almost all aspects of checkers. A major problem arises for many of us when our billfolds seems to run short of his picture; therefore it becomes harder and harder to make the right winning moves in life across the board. (Cont.)
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:44 pm

Andrew J. Banks--"Pictorial Guide to Checkers"--"Battles of History and of the Checkerboard". This answer compliments of my dear friend and checker historian par-excellance Al Darrow.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby Pedro Saavedra on Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:13 pm

> Andrew J. Banks--"Pictorial Guide to Checkers"--"Battles of History and of
> the Checkerboard". This answer compliments of my dear friend and
> checker historian par-excellance Al Darrow.

Exactly! In the edition I have, the subtitle is not on the cover, but it is the title of a short essay comparing a number of famous battles to games in the book. The last of the battles is Yorktown (though he just refers to it as Washington's victory over Cornwallis) and that is why Washington's picture appears.

I gave away most of my checker collection in 1982 or so, because I was in a state with no other ACF members. Little did I know that the Internet would afford me an opportunity of returning to the game. In the 1970s, I could walk into a thrift shop or used book store, and every third of fourth time I would find an old checker book. Some were even notebooks with analysis compiled by hand. Today it seldom happens that I find any. And ordering is not as much fun as searching and finding in old book stores. So today's finding was a joy.
Pedro Saavedra

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia