The player whose mother made the tournament book -- answer

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

The player whose mother made the tournament book -- answer

Postby Pedro Saavedra on Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:03 pm

I may have told this story in one forum or the BBS, so it does not count if you you heard it from me. In 1976 or so, I won a checkers book as a prize in the minors at the Illinois State Championship. The book was an old tournament book, and somehow, the mother of one participant appeared in a picture along with the competitors.

In 1984, a friend of mine surprised me by mentioning that he was going out with the daughter of the player in question. I lent him my copy of the book, which he passed on to her, and she was fascinated, for she had no picture of her grandmother in her younger years. Unfortunately, my friend and the checker player's daughter broke up, and I never got my book back.

I do not recall the title of the tournament book or the year of the tournament, but the anecdote may have sufficient detail (plus the fact that somebody may have come across the picture) that some of you may be able to guess the player whose mother appeared in the tournament book.
Last edited by Pedro Saavedra on Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pedro Saavedra

Re: The player whose mother made the tournament book

Postby Pedro Saavedra on Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:49 am

It looks like I will have to give a few hints.

1) The book was for an old tournament (when the player was young).
2) The player was living in 1984, but has passed away since.
3) I had the privilige of knowing him, and a finer gentleman one cannot find.
4) His name is frequently found in checker publications
5) His name (him, not a namesake) can be googled up in contexts other than checkers.
Pedro Saavedra

Postby rich beckwith on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:55 pm

Dale Heath?
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Postby Pedro Saavedra on Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:00 pm

> Dale Heath?

No.

I will add (to avoid the wrong conclusion) that I lived in Illinois 1975-1980.
I met this player earlier, while we both lived in the East. I was back East when my friend met this player's daughter.

I will also add that my friend was close to 50 when this happened.
Pedro Saavedra

Postby steve on Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:27 am

N.Banks
steve

Postby Pedro Saavedra on Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:24 am

Steve guesses:

> N.Banks

I believe Banks died in 1977.

A couple of more hints:

He once appeared featured in the cover of American Checkerist.

At a Swiss system tournament in Sanford (where I played in the B group) he was so far ahead of the field (a field that included Lowder) at the last round that even with a double loss he would have taken the prize, so he asked that it be just given to him so he could go home early. The tournament commitee agreed.

But of course, if you want to look up the answer, just browse through old tournament books until you come to a group picture of the players plus the mother of one of the players.
Pedro Saavedra

The player whose mother made the tournament book

Postby JR Smith on Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:35 pm

Ed Scheidt... if this is right you can see and read more about him

http://www.nccheckers.org/NCCA/Obiturary15.htm
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
JR Smith

Postby Pedro Saavedra on Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:41 pm

> Ed Scheidt...

You got it!!!

I was a chess player who had read checker books. My friend and fellow chess player Rick Callaghan had just taken up checkers, and I became his sparring partner. I forget how we got Ed's name, but I called Scheidt and he invited me to his home (then in Reston, Va.) and we played some and he gave me some pointers. Then he asked to play chess, and even though my chess rating was higher than his chess rating, he beat me. At a tournament in Sanford he joined my wife and me for breakfast, and we had some delightful conversations.

Ed had been an FBI agent. He was the special agent in charge of the Alger Hiss case, and head of the New York bureau But he did not see eye to eye with Hoover and left the FBI. He was also head of the division of Motor Vehicles of North Carolina. For all his law enforcement background, he was very much a political liberal.

I still do not remember the tournament where his mother appeared in the picture. Ed was a young man then, and she went with him to the tournament.
Pedro Saavedra

Ed Scheidt

Postby JR Smith on Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:14 pm

Just so we don't get confused, Ed Scheidt the checker player is Edward M. Scheidt's Father, Ed Scheidt the son borne in 1939 is the retired Chairman of the CIA Cryptographic Center at CIA Headquarters in Langley, VA. He was the trainer and mastermind behind James Sanborn a Washington DC sculptor who was commissioned in 1988 to create the art project and finished installing "Kryptos" in 1990. This becomes the world's most famous unsolved codes; however, Part 1-3 has been solved but only after nearly 10 years of deciphering. One of them was used by the KBG, during the cold war period. Part 4 (known as K4) and possibly K5 & K6 continues unsolved, and if solved the messages will most likely be a mystery. This is the Scheidt you get when you google. Mike Scheidt is the son of Edwin M. Scheidt.
JR Smith

Re: Ed Scheidt

Postby Pedro Saavedra on Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:40 am

>Just so we don't get confused, Ed Scheidt the checker player is Edward M.
>Scheidt's Father, Ed Scheidt the son borne in 1939 is the retired Chairman
>of the CIA Cryptographic Center at CIA Headquarters in Langley, VA.

You can get both when you google. Scheidt pater is listed several times in connection with the Alger Hiss/Whitaker Chambers cases and some other FBI cases of the post-war era. He was also a defendant in a state supreme court case in North Carolina, in his role as head of the Motor Vehicles division.

That is why I said that you can google *him* -- not a just namesake -- in a context outside of checkers.
Pedro Saavedra

Ed Scheidt

Postby JR Smith on Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:57 am

Thanks Pedro, I didn't go far enough, I just keyed in Ed Scheidt, its your riddle and you know more about it than I do, most of what I know come for others like yourself who knew and played with him. Ed had just about quit playing checkers in the early 90's so when I started playing I never got to see him in action, just remember older players talking about him.
JR Smith

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia