Line from "Law and Order"

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

Line from "Law and Order"

Postby whitefork on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:13 pm

Eames: "...from chess prodigy to paranoid prodigy, that's why I stuck to checkers."
Пилите, Шура, пилите!
whitefork

Re: Line from "Law and Order"

Postby Mr. Checkers on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:23 pm

I was watching that show also. There is never going to be anyone in checkers that is forced to move to Cuba (in order to play checkers against worthy foreign opponents) due to federal restrictions against other countries. Chess went through that during the Bobby Fischer era as I recall. (Cont.)
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Re: Line from "Law and Order"

Postby Pedro Saavedra on Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:14 pm

>There is never going to be anyone in checkers that is forced to move to
>Cuba (in order to play checkers against worthy foreign opponents) due
>to federal restrictions against other countries. Chess went through that
>during the Bobby Fischer era as I recall. (Cont.).

No it did not. There were restrictions on commerce with Cuba, but not against playing anybody. Fischer was free to play anywhere else and was able to play in a Cuban tournament using a remote connection. In contrast, Cuban players of suspect politics had to defect to play foreign players, the Soviet Union held the family of Korchnoi hostage when the latter defected, and checker players did defect in some numbers during the Soviet era.

Let us not make Uncle Sam the villain in the restrictions department when it had far fewer than the countries which were the subject of its restrictions.
Pedro Saavedra

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia