Winning a game without moving a checker

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

Re: Winning a game without moving a checker

Postby Palomino on Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:41 pm

Ed, I found you had posted the answer while I was making my diagram and typing my answer.

Enjoyed the challenge.

Regards, "Pal"
Last edited by Palomino on Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Palomino

Re:

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:47 pm

:oops:
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:48 pm

Ed perhaps this would have been better entitled--"Winning a Bet Without Moving a Checker". In any case it was a fine checker trivia question--thank you for sharing it with us.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:37 am

EdTrice wrote:Recently I had the opportunity to win the following wager. I made this bet:

I can play an entire game [b]without moving a checker, allowing my opponent to finish the game with all kings while I had none, and still have a position any master will agree is a draw at the end.[/b]

I may be blind, but white has moved a checker, as the piece on 5 could not get there without moving, even worse:
the piece on 9 also moved.
What did I miss ?

Greetinx from hot and sunny Dortmund, Germany

Ingo Zachos
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Postby Palomino on Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:58 pm

Hi Ingo,

Ed wrote: "It's all in the wording, then the execution of the wording... so there is your hint!" Going back to the riddle he wrote: "I can play an entire game without moving a checker, here "a checker" has the same meaning as "one checker". Ed played the whole game without moving "a checker", the checker he didn't move was the man that started out on square #29 and that checker was never moved the entire game as Ed's diagram shows the game ended as a draw and the checker is still on square #29 in the same position as it was at the beginning of the game.
( WOW ,how did he get that diagram? he must have added a step or two to Alex's instructions, I guess.)

Regards, "Pal" Bucker
Palomino

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:33 pm

I see.
I was always thinking "a" was an indefinite article, so it never means a certain, identifiable thing, not a definite thing like the checker on 29.
English seems to be a hard language that I will never understand.
I thought the checker on 29 is "one " checker, but not "a" checker, as "one" refers to a number, but "a" is only an article.
You learn something new every day!

Greetinx for the clarification, Pal.

Ingo Zachos

P.S:
The diagram is from a different server then Alex' diagrams:
http://www.gothicchess.com/images/riddle.jpg
But the technique to fill in a picture is the same.
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Another Riddle

Postby liam stephens on Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:47 pm

When is a man not a man?, oh no!, not that one again, what I meant was:
How would you describe the perfect match?
No, it's not Celtic v Rangers or even Tinsley v Chinook, but depends on the fact that in Ireland the word clean ( as in "clean my boots" or "wipe the slate clean") is sometimes pronounced "clane". It also has to do with a couple being in a state of wedded bliss. Well, with all those clues you should be able to solve it in a trice, but if the answer still eludes you try asking a native of Kildare.
liam stephens

Previous

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia