The First 100 Years in Life are the Hardest--answer

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

The First 100 Years in Life are the Hardest--answer

Postby Mr. Checkers on Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:35 pm

This was the favorite saying of this Indiana homes builder and checker player, who never passed up a chance to play a good game of checkers. He and his lovely wife opened their home to anyone and everyone that wanted to stop in for a game of checkers or two--and they would always invite you to stay overnight to play again the next day and the next day and the next day etc. "Checker Trivia question of the Day"? Who was this northwestern Indiana checker player who lived, ate and slept checkers? (Cont.)
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Re: "The First 100 Years in Life are the Hardest&am

Postby Palomino on Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:29 pm

Ok, now I have the answer to this question, today during a break at the Indiana State Checker tournament Roger Blaine and I were looking at old score sheets and such from past Indiana tournaments. Roger was reading off this name and that name and saying well "he's gone now" or "I haven't heard from this fella for several years", then he mentioned the name of a player from Elkhart Indiana and was saying what a nice fella he had been and from the story Roger was telling about him I knew I had the answer to this question. I'm sure this was Lonnie Mishler. I recall Roger telling stories about him before but it didn't click as to who this was until today. I wish that I could have met Mr. Mishler and his wife and had gotten to know them myself, sounds like great people.

Regards, "Pal" Bucker
Last edited by Palomino on Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Palomino

Re: "The First 100 Years in Life are the Hardest&am

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:11 pm

This brings back a lot of good memories for me. During the 1990's I made over 70 trips back and forth to Pa. in search for checker memorabilia for our museum. Pa. has many antique stores, so I spent a lot of time there. One day I was reading a checker publication about a tournament that was held in South Bend, Indiana. It told about an elderly gentleman who attended bringing with him an old set of wooden checkers. Being addicted to checkers I wrote to him asking if I could stop by his home on my way to Pa. to see these checkers. He gladly agreed to allow me to come to his home in Elkhart, Indiana. Once I arrived he asked me to play a few games of checkers with him. We played all day long. And then he mentioned that I should stay another day to play some more checkers, which I did. After about three days of visiting (and playing lots of games of checkers) with this lovely couple they stated that they did not want me driving all the way to Pa. anymore, but that I should stop in to stay with them--both in going to and coming back from Pa. Before that I drove 750 miles straight through to Pa. only stopping for gasoline. After meeting them that very long trip was greatly shortened and I would always stay a couple of days each time I passed through Elkhart to visit with them (this allowed me to inturn stop many times to visit my good friend Asa Long who lived in Toledo, Ohio). Lonnie and Marie Mishler treated me just like their own son. If they were out of town I was always welcome to still stop to stay at there home. They gave me a tour of much of northwestern Indiana when we were not playing checkers. Lonnies favorite saying was--"the first 100 years in life are the hardest". I will always remember and cherish the many fond memories of my visits with this most loving and caring couple--such memories shall never be forgotten.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia