"Why Checkers Alex"?

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

"Why Checkers Alex"?

Postby Mr. Checkers on Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:12 pm

"Checker Trivia questions of the Day"--for Alex. Alex what kindled or sparked your interest in playing checkers as a youth verus playing some other game such as chess? And what prompted you to carry this serious interest in checkers further into your adulthood? (Cont.)
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Re: "Why Checkers Alex"?

Postby Mr. Checkers on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:03 pm

Alex if you would be so kind to respond to this "Checker Trivia" question it would be greatly appreciated. (Cont.)
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:43 pm

In both cases I didn't have much choice !

My dad played checkers (Russian) when he was young, so ... when I was 7 years old he took me and brought to the checkers club for kids, where we had a regular serious lessons.

This was municipal (Moscow) club, and city paid to coach (some former Russian checkers master) a regular salary and it was a full time job for him.

When I immigrated to USA in 1991, I find out, that either 10x10 or pool checkers are at the lowest level of popularity and financially. No regular tournaments (except Nationals), no State tournament. So - if I want continue to play seriously 10x10 - I should travel to Europe, which cost me with time and money.

In 1996 I won USA 10x10 National tournament in July, and got a rights to play in the World Championship in Africa. I even bought tickets to the Ivary Coast and made a fewer shots (very painful :twisted: ). However, I realized then - if I win in first week semifinals, I have to stay for another 2 weeks to play in finals, which was absolutely impossible.

So, in October I cancelled my tickets to Africa and wend to Danville, VA to play in my first checkers National. Anything happened after this you are aware.

Perhaps we should consider my choice of draughts as "Second immigration in checkers !"

Did I answer your question ?

I am still thinking - if it was a right life decision on my part ? :wink: I really don't know - if checkers are doing better after I joined, and I don't know - if I am doing better. However - it was very hard for me to stay away of such hobby, which has influence on my entire life.

Respectfully,

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Mr. Checkers on Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:52 pm

Thanks Alex for taking the time to share this background information with us. That was greatly appreciated. It would seem that you have had a lot of interesting experiences "moving around on the square throughout the world" over the years and hopefully you will be doing so for many years to come. (Cont.)
Mr. Checkers

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia