"William Who"???--He No Longer Lives Here

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

"William Who"???--He No Longer Lives Here

Postby Mr. Checkers on Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:31 pm

Don't assume just because we listed that a William Payne's--"Game of Draughts" should be found at a certain university, museum or other library that it is there today 2/27/06--for William may have taken a walk from there years ago. Today I spent a lot of time and money researching some the the places that once listed that they had a copy of Payne's book, but no longer know the whereabouts of it today. It probably had a little outside help in leaving those places I would assume. So call ahead or email them before going there to see their copy of Payne's--Game of Draughts. (Cont.)
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Re: "William Who"???--He No Longer Lives H

Postby Palomino on Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:40 pm

I found this on the web:

"The first book written on the game of draughts "El Ingenio o juego de marro, de punto o damas," was published by Torquemada at Valencia, Spain in 1547 and now resides in the Royal Library of Madrid. "

I've been told that the Royal Library of Madrid can't find the book, so there the go. William Payne's "An Introduction to the Game of Draughts" isn't the only book missing.

Regards, "Pal" Bucker
Palomino

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia