"Norman Rockwell Revisited"?--answer

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

"Norman Rockwell Revisited"?--answer

Postby Mr. Checkers on Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:24 pm

Two elderly gentlemen playing checkers on a wooden barrel next to an old time wood burning stove. There is another fellow looking on behind them and a kitty on the floor beside them. "Checker Trivia questions of the Day". What was the name of this Rockwell and what was unique about it? (Cont.)
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Re: "Norman Rockwell Revisited"?

Postby Bob Murr on Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:33 pm

I haven't the slightest idea about this one. I know that Norman Rockwell did 3 prints on checkers "Last Move" "The Game" and "Checkers" I thought that maybe this is a figurine or statuette, but I cant find a Checkers figurine that he did.

My other thought is that perhaps there was a Rockwell other than Norman who was also an artist. Maybe his son Peter who is a sculpterist, but I didn't find this in his portfollio either.
Bob Murr
Bob Murr

Postby Gene Lindsay on Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:13 pm

Hi everyone, since we are revisiting Norman Rockwell, I will tell you I now have 4 prints on checkers done by Rockwell. The 3 Bob mentioned and another. The 4th is a black and white or charcoal of a man and his son playing checkers.

Gene Lindsay
Gene Lindsay

Postby Bob Murr on Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:45 pm

Thank you Gene, I would like to see the charcoal print, is it an original? I have read that he did all of his preliminary illustrations in charcoals and then disposed of the charcoal drawings after completing the color illustrations. Many of these charcoals were saved by the trash collector and some of these are very valuable now.
Was this charcoal print an advertisement or is it available to purchase?
Do you know the name of the print?

http://www.rockwellandme.com/charcoals.htm
Bob Murr
Bob Murr

Postby Mr. Checkers on Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:04 pm

Norman Rockwell did hundreds of charcoal sketches many of which he just threw in the trash or on the floor. Today those charcoal prints sell for tens of thousands of dollars. Norman Rockwell did many pencil sketches also which appeared in advertisements. I can recall seeing one of these years ago showing a little boy playing checkers with his dad or grandfather. (Cont.)
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby Gene Lindsay on Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:26 pm

I have not been on the net for a couple of days. I had just received the black and white print when I made the post. I ordered it from The Rockwell Gallery Collection, (http://www.rockwellsite.com). They said it was a print of an original pencil drawing he did for Mass. Mutual Insurance Company. He evidently did several for them. I don't think that Rockwell named these pencil drawings. They have it listed under Father and Son Playing Checkers. I found a nice dark brown and black frame for it and it looks real good.

Gene Lindsay
Gene Lindsay

Postby Bob Murr on Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:44 pm

Thanks Gene for the information, that is a wonderful site for Rockwell prints.
Bob Murr
Bob Murr

Postby Palomino on Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:04 pm

Palomino

Postby Bob Murr on Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:08 pm

Thanks Gene and Pal
The Rockwell black and white print arrived by UPS today, Now I need to find a frame for it.
Bob Murr
Bob Murr

Postby Palomino on Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:00 am

"The Checker Game" is one of ten original designs created by Norman Rockwell in 1973 specifically for The Franklin Mint's Limited Edition, Proof Set of ten Hallmarked, Serially Numbered, Solid Sterling Silver, Collector Ingots entitled "Fondest Memories". Each ingot measures 2 inches tall by 2 1/2 inches wide and weighs 1500 grains (3.125 troy oz).

You can buy the whole set now for $350.00 on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=39489

Regards, "Pal" Bucker
Last edited by Palomino on Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Palomino

Re: "Norman Rockwell Revisited"?--answer

Postby Bob Murr on Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:39 pm

I had not heard of this before. Very interesting.

Thank you for posting the link.
Bob Murr
Bob Murr

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia