"The Big Bad Wolf"--answer

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

"The Big Bad Wolf"--answer

Postby Mr. Checkers on Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:37 pm

Said the wolf to the three little pigs. It was also a rule in checkers many years ago and it still can be found today in the rules of some newer checker games. "Checker Trivia questions of the Day". What was the name of this rule? How did it work? And why was it eliminated? Optional question--what rules would you like to see changed or eliminated in todays game? (Cont.)
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Re: "The Big Bad Wolf"

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:45 pm

Ms. Becky wrote:what rules would you like to see changed or eliminated in todays game?

I am in favor of idea to change one rule - crowing the King for opponent. In my opinion - it is an obsolete. Personally - I don't like when someone touch my pieces. It has to be responsibility of player to crown own Kings.

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby steve on Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:49 pm

The huff which is the only rule that andrew anderson compiled in 1852 that has been challenged.Which is if a player fails to capture a man which he should have taken but move elseware,his opponent may remove the man which should have captured.Or you can force your opponent to capture.I have never been able to find out who made this change but it was done in the late 30's or early 40's.William Ryan in his modern encyclopedia publish in 1943 goes into great details why we should have the huff i agree with him 100%, but the average player can not comprehend this.
steve

Postby Mr. Checkers on Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:55 pm

Steve you are doing well with answering our "Checker Trivia". Lets leave this on a few more days to see if there is anyone that wants to make any changes to the present day rules. (Cont.)
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Re: "The Big Bad Wolf"--answer

Postby Mr. Checkers on Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:25 pm

I guess that we have come to an end with this one. (Cont.)
Mr. Checkers

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia