A Rose by any other name would smell as sweet

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

A Rose by any other name would smell as sweet

Postby liam stephens on Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:53 am

Let me state at the outset, I have no particular preference as between the words Checkers and Draughts as a name for our game. Both are acceptable and in common use.
However, I wonder has anyone noticed the gradual, almost imperceptible, misappropriation of the English word draughts by the FMJD and acolytes to describe the 10 X 10 game (more properly known as Polish Draughts, in my estimation) and other 64 square variants that employ the backward jump by men.
The term Checkers they appear to have reserved for the English (or Anglo- American if you prefer) game. It’s almost as if they were referring to a different species like Go or Mahjong. The Kurnik (Play OK) site does much the same thing.
It is gratifying to note that our Italian friends still refer to Dama Inglese.
liam stephens

Re: A Rose by any other name would smell as sweet

Postby George Hay on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:56 am

Liam, that does seem to be the case!
On the positive side, the World Checkers Draughts Federation is aptly named.
The word World indicates we play a world-wide game.
"Checkers Draughts" is kind of like "Soccer Football," incorporating American and British English.
The WCDF is a Federation made up of organizations from many countries.
We play the ancient game, the Grand Old Game, the game that is second to none.
--George Hay
George Hay

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:07 pm

Liam,

as always you made a very good observation, as indeed it is possible to misappropriate the term draughts, and some may actually have that in mind, not just Draughts 100 players btw., but officially the FMJD calls all variants "Draughts", and uses "Draughts 64" and "Draughts 100" and "Checkers" to distinguish the sections, though technically Draughts 100 is no section, but "Draughts 64" and "Checkers" are.

For clarification I think it is useful to have clear defined names, but actually "Draughts 64" , to add to the confusion, represents more then one set of rules, as it contains rules as played in South America ("Brazilian Draughts"), Russia and former Soviet Union ("Shashki"), but also " Pool Checkers ".

I think there is indeed Babylonian confusion in naming the variants of draughts/checkers, as in many countries in which one style prevails, the "national" style is referred to if u use the generic word for draughts/checkers only, and the other variants get "first names". The Italians used the terms "Dama Internazionale", "Dame Italiano" and "Dame Inglese" in their official documents, but this indicates that Draughts 100 would be the only international variant of the game, which is also to some extend, inappropriate in my mind.

Polish Draughts ,Italian Draughts, Russian Draughts,English Draughts, Brazilian Draughts are also quite misleading terms, as they do not only refer to one variant of the game, but also to a national "school" or "culture" in draughts and could in this sense, also include all three or even more variants of draughts/checkers.
I can say that the good results of Shane McCosker or Garrett Owens at the recent Qualifiers show the high standard of Irish Draughts, but yet, Irish Draughts would not even qualify as a new variant of the game....

In my mind, the term "Checkers" for internal FMJD purpose is appropriate, but note that Pool Checkers also exists, so this term is as misleading as is Draughts, as it is applied to many variants.

It is just a useful convention to say "Draughts 100", "Draughts 64" and "Checkers", but it does not mean that the players of this styles are not all draughts players and checker players at the same time :-)

I think that "Turkish" Draughts (again a confusing term) now entering the scene, we can not do other then accept different names, and some convention in the FMJD must be made, but the EDA will remain a draughts association and Pool Checkers will remain Pool Checkers , and the WCDF the World Checkers/Draughts federation.

It is like in fencing: there is fencing as a sport, and there are different weapons, but all together they are fencers.

And, lucky fencers, there are no two generic names for that sport in English to allow confusion and misappropriate use.

Greetinx from Babylon,

Ingo Zachos
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Postby tommyc on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:47 am

No matter how sweet Rose is............................i dont fcare, but what i want to know is when are these old dinosaurs going to stop calling the danged pieces BLACK when they are clearly RED. Get over it ,its red.red red red red...............not black.And to hell whe them that disny lik us.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia