Who invented the numerical notation?

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

Who invented the numerical notation?

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:56 am

I am interested in checker/draughts history,being a chess historican, and I have asked myself the question if the books by Payne and Sturges already used the numbered board and the numerical notation?
In chess, both algebraic and descriptive notation were introduced in the 18 th century, before that they descibed moves verbally, as "move your pawn in front of the king two squares ahead" etc.

So which kind of notation was used in book like the Canelejas or earlier Spanish works? And when was the numerical notation introduced? Was it earlier then in chess as I persume?
Dennis Pawlek tolds me that „A History Of Draughts“ by Arie von der Stoep contains a picture dated from 1684 with a numbered board on it.
Perhaps a checker bibliomaic like Ms. Becky or Mr. Checkers could do some resaerch on that, because the idea that checkers/draughts had a generally accepted notation system before chess would be a remarkable fact!

Greetinx from Dortmund, Germany

Ingo Zachos
Ingo_Zachos

Re: Who invented the numerical notation?

Postby Mr. Checkers on Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:18 am

Ingo I think that developed or created would probably be a better word here instead of invented. There is not much written about this subject in our checker books, but if you go to google.com you will find a lot of information on numerical notation on checkerboards. This you will find goes way back in history. In the meantime I will see what else I can find in the checker literature for you. (Cont.)
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia