CHRISTMAS QUIZ - Answers
1. Of which player and problemist is it recorded that he conducted a
checker column in the Chicago Post when but fourteen years of age!
Charles Hefter. Ref: Slocum Strokes by Bill Salot, page 43.
2. In which Championship of America match did the “Cough Drops “ incident occur.
Barker v Reed 1889 (won by Reed 9-7)
"A dramatic explanation is also given of Reed’s collapse in the fatal
days when Barker scored so heavily. ‘To relieve a throat irritation, Reed
procured some of ‘Smith Bros. Cough Drops’, and entirely ignorant that
their curative ingredient is morphine, he consumed one package
Monday, two on Tuesday, and three on Wednesday, and was so
completely under the effects of the drug that it is surprising that he did
not lose more than three games that day."
Ref: ibid., page 48.
3. In 1977 who composed the shortest game of draughts in 20 moves,
ending in a block game, or with all the pieces removed.
9-14, 22-18, 11-15, 18-11, 7-16, 24-20, 2-7, 20-2, 3-7, 2-18, 10-15 A, 18-2, 12-16,
23-18, 1-6, 2-9, 5-23, 26-3, 4-8, 3-12, W.W. all pieces taken in 20 moves.
A – 1-6, 21-17, 10-15, 18-9, 5-21, 23-19, 12-16, 19-3, 4-8, 3-12, W.W.
Block game in 20 moves.
Alan M. Beckerson. Ref: EDJ, Vol 17, No 3, Dec 1977.
4. Who wrote the first computer program on the game of draughts.
C. S. Strachey 1951.
Ref: Proceedings of the Association for Computing Machinery Meeting, Toronto, 1952.
5. Who is the author of the most recent super - duper, all singing and dancing checkers computer program.
Sune Thrane – Most Famous Checkers
6. In 1977, who was the Chairman/Treasurer and a founding member of the Irish Draughts Association (IDA).
7. Who won the Australian Draughts Championship in 1965 ?
8. Who was the editor of the Melbourne Weekly Times draughts column
for 52 years (1912 to 1964).
9. In 1965 a new weekly Draughts Column commenced, in the Ipswich Advertiser. The editor was a former Queensland champion.
What was his name ?
J. Heffernan. Ref: MWT 1/9/65
10. Prolific problem composer, George Brown, came from which city in Australia?
Ballarat, a city in the state of Victoria.