Birthdays

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

Re: Birthdays

Postby kiwinurse on Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:43 pm

and im a sensitive sagittarian,dec 13th
kiwinurse

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:52 am

Yes, it is true - I believe in astrology ! From my short life experience I also can prove that people from the same Zodiac sign have similar (not identical indeed) personality. Jan has the same Zodiac sign as my Dad, December 12 ... always looking for something new, always on the road, never satisfy with everything.

kiwinurse wrote:and im a sensitive sagittarian,dec 13th

Sagittarius

November 22 - December 21

Sagittarius, the ninth Sign of the Zodiac, is the home of the wanderers of the Zodiac. It's not a mindless ramble for these folks, either. Sagittarians are truth-seekers, and the best way for them to do this is to hit the road, talk to others and get some answers. Knowledge is key to these folks, since it fuels their broad-minded approach to life. The Sagittarian-born are keenly interested in philosophy and religion, and they find that these disciplines aid their internal quest. At the end of the day, what Sagittarians want most is to know the meaning of life, and if they accomplish this while feeling free and easy, all the better.

It's the Archer which represents Sagittarians, although in this case it's a Centaur (half man, half beast) which is flinging the arrows. Centaurs were the intellectuals of ancient Roman mythology, and Sagittarians are quick to consider themselves their modern-day counterparts. Those born under this Sign are clear thinkers and choose to look at the big picture most of the time. They also like it when others agree with their well-thought-out point of view. The alternative to this, for better or for worse, is a Sag who can become argumentative and blunt. That's not to say that these folks are intransigent -- Archers will listen to what others have to say, in keeping with the Mutable Quality assigned to this Sign. Indeed, Sagittarians are enthusiastic consumers of information (and enthusiastic in general), the better to get the answers they need. It's also a good idea to give Sags lots of room to explore their world. Once these folks start to feel hemmed in, they'll become impatient and difficult.
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby kiwinurse on Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:29 pm

Hm Alex, a lot of that describes me to a tee, yes im deeply religious and read widely on philosophy , psychology, and different cultures,but im never argumentaive or difficult lol
kiwinurse

Postby whitefork on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:21 pm

Republic Day in India, Paul Newman, Ellen Degeneres, Anne Jeffreys (Marion Kirby on Topper), Wayne Gretzky, Angela Davis, Eddie Van Halen, Bob Uecker, Jules Pfeiffer. and me - January 26. (And this year - "I can't drive - 55")

I don't know if any of the above play checkers.

- A Skeptical Aquarian

“I used to think I was poor. Then they told me I wasn't poor, I was needy. Then they told me it was self-defeating to think of myself as needy. I was deprived. (Oh not deprived but rather underprivileged.) Then they told me that underprivileged was overused. I was disadvantaged. I still don't have a dime. But I have a great vocabulary.” - Jules Pfeiffer
Пилите, Шура, пилите!
whitefork

Postby tommyc on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:32 pm

16th March 1948...on this day1968

1968 Vietnam Vietnam Massacre By US Forces

16th March, 1968: U.S. troops massacre South Vietnamese between 200 and 500 unarmed villagers at My Lai 4, a cluster of hamlets in the coastal lowlands of the northernmost region of South Vietnam. During the ensuing massacre, several old men were bayoneted; some women and children praying outside the local temple were shot in the back of the head;

In some ways this single story that came out changed the views of many American citizens who were beginning to question why the US was involved in Vietnam and was later proved to be true, this was a fairly isolated case of US forces brutality which reflected wrongly on all US forces in Vietnam. 1968

Cost of a gallon of Gas 16 cents............ 1948

Inventions.........Computer England by Freddie William's team
Long Playing Record USA made of vinyl and played at 33 rpm
Velcro Switzerland by George deMestral
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby liam stephens on Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:04 am

Hi Tommy,

Very interesting facts about Vietnam.

And what a furore on the General Discussion site.
I wonder if George Miller is somewhere out there looking in.
Come back BBS - all is forgiven! :wink: :wink:
liam stephens

Postby whitefork on Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:25 am

16 March 1958, My sister. Ford Motor Company produces its 50 millionth automobile, the Thunderbird, averaging almost a million cars a year since the company's founding.
Пилите, Шура, пилите!
whitefork

Postby liam stephens on Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:39 pm

22 February 1732 - George Washington.

“It’s Washington’s Birthday” (Nixon in China)

“The people are the heroes now,
Behemoth pulls the peasents’ plow.” - Alice Goodman.

(See also computer game - Civilization 4 - http://www.wischik.com/lu/lady/hearing-witch.html
liam stephens

Re: Well 41 already !!!!

Postby william on Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:53 pm

Hi everyone

Just to let you all know that I'll be 41 on the 6th of March

Birthday greetings welcome LOL OH LOL

( and sponsorship for china olympics even more so ... any takers BIG LOL )

WILLIAM DOCHERTY
william

Re: Well 41 already !!!!

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:15 pm

william wrote:Just to let you all know that I'll be 41 on the 6th of March

Thanks, sir! Information accepted and processed :lol: Both numbers are important for me. On March 6th 1982 I get married and this year it will be 26th anniversary. Although, in 2000 when I was 41, I started my fighting for checkers crown and won my 1st US 3-move National.

Hence, you are still young baby ! When I played match with you in 2001 - I was 42 :lol: You have everything ahead but don't wait too long. I'll be glad to meet and play with you again in China this year.

Happy Birthday !

Sincerely,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:17 am

... (wait until tomorrow)
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Postby william on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:20 pm

Hey

You talk about coincidences, anyway congrats on your 26th year of true happiness ; and give your wife a big kiss from me and pass on my sincere best wishes too .

Yep time does fly ; I remeber that match as though it were yesterday .

I too am looking forward to meeting up with you in China ; I don't promise anything but the new training program that I've set myself is well under way and has been designed to compensate for the unfortunate lack of real tourney play , which handicaps me compared to other olympic candidates who have a club or strong opponent 'just around the corner'.

As they say the proof of the pudding is in the eating

Anyway best wishes again for tomorrow , and I'll be thinking of you both as I raise my glass of whisky to celebrate my 41 years ;

WILLIAM
william

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:55 pm

william wrote:the new training program that I've set myself is well under way and has been designed to compensate for the unfortunate lack of real tourney play

Hmmm ... I always thought that nothing can compensate lack of practice, but I can be wrong indeed :lol:

One famous pianist said: "if I don't practice one day - my fingers feel this, if I don't practice 2 days - I feel this, and if I don't practice 3 days - people who listen my play, feel this !"

Regards,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Happy Birthday William!

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:05 pm

Joyeux anniversaire ![b]Happy Birthday! [/b] Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag ! Là breith sona dhuit!

41 is a prime number. So in this year, which is the year of mathematics, your age is perfectly timed.
So it is proven that you must be in your prime!

BTW: This one's for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzXO_5e8oO0

or maybe this very popular German song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGx9l_lh ... re=related

(short translation : "Today it may rain, strom or snow, because you r as bright as the sunshine (now). Today is your birthday, that's why we celebrate, and all of your friends are cheering out for you. How nice that you were born on this day, in case you didn't we would miss you soo much, how nice that we are together here, we congratulate to you, the birthday child")

So many happy birthday greetinx from sunny (did you order it?) Dortmund,

Ingo Zachos,

P.S:
as we say in German : "Halt die Ohren steif!"

P.P.S:
Here is an interesting new version of happy birtday with a legal explaination:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz2xcc1l ... re=related
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Postby william on Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:36 pm

Hey ingo

Thanks for that happy birthday song ;;very funny indeed : the girl however is a bit odd ... funny though

Thanks again

WILLIAM
william

PreviousNext

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia