"Another Famous Clown Playing Checkers"

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

"Another Famous Clown Playing Checkers"

Postby Mr. Checkers on Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:07 pm

While we are clowning around here today lets see if we can remember another great world famous clown who was often depicted in pictures and sculptured figurines, playing checkers of course. Years ago the big named circuses had their winter headquarters in Peru, Indiana--circus city. Many of the circus perfomers stayed over at the local YMCA during this period of time and it was there that I meant this unique, one of a kind famous clown. "Checker Trivia" What was that clowns name? (Cont.)
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Re: "Another Famous Clown Playing Checkers&quot

Postby Palomino on Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:25 pm

The answer has to be: Emmett Kelly, Jr. AKA "Weary Willie"

"Hoe Boys" were itinerant farm workers, in search of work they would travel from farm to farm by "riding the rails" eventually slang reduced the name to "hobos".

America's beloved sad faced, down on his luck hobo clown "Weary Willie" was created by Kelly's father Emmett Kelly, Sr.
Image http://www.clown-ministry.com/index_1.p ... ramp_clown

In the early 1960s Emmett Kelly, Jr. assumed the role of "Weary Willie".

Emmett Kelly, Jr. figurine "FAIR GAME"

Regards, "Pal" Bucker
Last edited by Palomino on Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Palomino

Re: "Another Famous Clown Playing Checkers&quot

Postby Mr. Checkers on Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:09 pm

I think that we need to give Pal Bucker a special hand for going far beyond what is ask in doing very thorough research of our "Checker Trivia" questions. I can remember as a boy playing checkers with Emmett Kelly Jr. at the local railroad YMCA in Peru, Indiana. Those were the good old days. Also staying at that same YMCA was a Hindu who spoke 7 different languages. Many of the performers came from all over the world and did not speak English. My Hindu friend and I hung around together. He was not only a man of the world (which many circus people were) but he was also a pool and checker shark who would whip the pants right off of you for a few dollars bet on the side. One of the bonuses of knowing him was that I got into all of the circuses free--which included the cotton candy. As I said--those were the good old days. (Cont.)
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia