My Father's Day present

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

My Father's Day present

Postby Pedro Saavedra on Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:29 pm

My second daughter sent me as a Father's Day gift a book I had once expressed an interest in. She could hardly have made a better choice. In the book I found many old friends I have known personally, some friends I have met in these forums, and some I have played. Furthermore, my name (but not any of my games or references to any tournaments I played in and not as part of a list) appears in the book (not a namesake, it is a precise reference to me).

Can anybody guess what book my daughter sent me for Father's Day?
Pedro Saavedra

Re: My Father's Day present

Postby Pedro Saavedra on Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:47 am

I'll give some hints. There is an index, and one finds many checker players as well as chess players in the index. My name has a reference to one page, George Miller's to two, Willie Ryan has five, Walter Hellman has eight, Richard Fortman 32 and Charles Walker 36.
Pedro Saavedra

Postby Jay H on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:08 pm

Greetings Pedro Saavedra,

Could this be an ICHF yearbook...?

Regards,
Jay H
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam !!!
Jay H

Postby Pedro Saavedra on Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:04 am

> Could this be an ICHF yearbook...?
> Regards, Jay H

Good guess, but no cigar. I will add two additional hints. It has many games of our type of checkers, but they are all in algebraic notation. And the opening with the largest number of citations by name is the White Doctor.

Regards,
Pedro
Pedro Saavedra

Postby Bob Murr on Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:36 am

This must be "One Jump Ahead".
Bob Murr
Bob Murr

Re: My Father's Day present -- answer

Postby Pedro Saavedra on Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:23 pm

> This must be "One Jump Ahead"

Give the man his prize. Yes. When Tinsley died I posted a eulogy in an Internet forum which caught Schaeffer's eye, and he quotes my eulogy of Tinsley in his book. I am a cheapskate, preferring to wait till I come across a book in a used book store or get it as a present, but I had long included it in my Christmas/birthday/Father's Day list. I am very much enjoying it, as it has people I have known on-line or in the flesh, but also interesting games and insights into game programming.

It is the second game book (hardback) where I appear, but none of my games. In 1965 a book called The Best in Chess (Horowitz and Battell) had a short story I wrote.
Pedro Saavedra

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia