"Turmoil, Resignations, Revolts, & Counter-Reaction

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

"Turmoil, Resignations, Revolts, & Counter-Reaction

Postby Mr. Checkers on Thu May 24, 2007 4:21 pm

:lol: Over the years harmonious relationships in checkers have not always occurred among its membership. I was especially interested in this trivia question because it involved a disagreement between two famous checker personalities who were also well known checker book dealers. Both were leading checker officials, but neither really liked the other and neither were on speaking terms. So as a result of their infighting there came a period of great turmoil that changed the course of checkers for some time to come. Resignations were asked for, which lead to a revolt by some within the the "Old Guard" of checkers--. And as a result of this revolt some players stayed at home to play their checker tournament, while others held their tournament elsewhere. This really became a long drawn out ordeal with two tournaments being held in two different places--and all in the same year. This whole thing started out as a dispute between two guys that did not like each other--and over a few dollars of prize money and where the original tournament should be held. The total story of the events that lead up to all of this are a very interesting for one to read, but unfortunately I do not have the time to spell it all out for you here. Therefore here are our "Checker Trivia" questions of the Day"? (1) Who were the two checker book dealers? (2) What was the name of their checker organization and what was their position in that? (3) In what city did they live? (4) In what two cities did they each want a checker tournament held--and which of them wanted what city and why? (5) What names were given to those two separate checker tournaments and in which city was each held? (6) And in what year were they held? (7) What was the name of this very famous checker player who died a few days after the first tournament was held? (8) Optional: Which other famous checker players were to be found at these two tournaments? :lol: "Mr. Checkers"
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Re: "Turmoil, Resignations, Revolts, & Coun

Postby Jay H on Thu May 24, 2007 6:32 pm

Greetings Mr. Checkers,
Since I have spent the last several months reading past news articles from older periodicals, I'll take a shot at this. If I remember correctly....

(1) Who were the two checker book dealers?

Wendemuth and Seelbach

(2) What was the name of their checker organization and what was their position in that?

ACA=American Checker Association
Wendemuth= treasurer, Seelbach= secretary

(3) In what city did they live?

Chicago

(4) In what two cities did they each want a checker tournament held--and which of them wanted what city and why?

???????

(5) What names were given to those two separate checker tournaments and in which city was each held?

Both were called the 7th American Tourney....in Chicago ( the Seelbach Rump Try.), and Cedar Point, OH

(6) And in what year were they held?

(7) Optional: Which famous checker players were to be found at these two tournaments?
Gonotsky, Long, Ryan, Case, Hunt
among others...

I think I got most of it right....?

regards,
Jay H
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam !!!
Jay H

Postby Mr. Checkers on Thu May 24, 2007 7:11 pm

:lol: Jay those are excellent answers. Please work on questions 4, 7, and 8 a little more and you will have this one wrapped up. Here is another "Checker Trivia" question to go along with this one. Why was it called the "Chicago Rump Tournament"? :lol: "Mr. Checkers"
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby Jay H on Fri May 25, 2007 12:55 pm

Greetings Mr. Checkers,

The only way I can be sure would be to get out my books, but I'll see if I remember...

(4) In what two cities did they each want a checker tournament held--and which of them wanted what city and why?

I think one of them wanted it held in New York, probably Wendemuth, as I believe Seelbach got free use of the Hotel in Chicago...(?)

(7) Optional: Which famous checker players were to be found at these two tournaments?

Ketchum, Reynolds.....(?)

(7) What was the name of this very famous checker player who died a few days after the first tournament was held?

The Great Gonotsky

Here is another "Checker Trivia" question to go along with this one. Why was it called the "Chicago Rump Tournament"?

You know, I used to think that this was a style of tournement, i.e., like round robin, knock out, but I don't think that is it......and you know what, I do not know , ...?? LOL

Well, I got at least half of them correct, so I am now .5 for 3 on your trivia questions....

Regards,
Jay H
Jay H

Postby Mr. Checkers on Fri May 25, 2007 2:15 pm

:lol: Jay you are getting even closer. Yes Seelbach wanted the tournament held in Chicago. But Wendemuth went with the "Old Guard" to have the tournament held where--(not New York)? And over what were the two of them disputing? Mr. Gonotsky did not want to spend a dime to ride the bus, so he walked in the rain and as a result he became ill and died about 10 days after the "Rump" tournament had ended. Why was it called the "Rump Tournament"? Give the other question a little more thought and you will have this one all tied up. :lol: "Mr. Checkers"
Mr. Checkers

Postby Jay H on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:00 pm

Greetings All,
Mr. Checkers,.....
"Jay you are getting even closer. Yes Seelbach wanted the tournament held in Chicago. But Wendemuth went with the "Old Guard" to have the tournament held where--(not New York)? And over what were the two of them disputing? Mr. Gonotsky did not want to spend a dime to ride the bus, so he walked in the rain and as a result he became ill and died about 10 days after the "Rump" tournament had ended. Why was it called the "Rump Tournament"? Give the other question a little more thought and you will have this one all tied up",

.....I am happy I got correct what I did....lol. I have given it my best shot...
I'll take a half point, and am eagerly awaiting the full answer to this trivia question....!

Regards,
Jay H
Jay H

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia