Who was GAYP and 3-move World Champion -- Answer

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

Who was GAYP and 3-move World Champion -- Answer

Postby rich beckwith on Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:36 am

What two modern era players have held both the GAYP and 3-move world titles (though not necessarily at the same time)?
Last edited by rich beckwith on Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Re: Who was GAYP and 3-move World Champion

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:14 pm

Derek Oldbury/England, GAYP World Champion from 1976 to 1982 and World Champion at 3-move restriction from 1991-1994,
andGM Ron King/Barbados, GAYP World Champion from 1991 til today and 3-move World Champion from 1994 til 2003. GM King held both titles from 1994 to 2003.
Alex Moiseyev came also very close to the double crown, winning the 3-move title in 2003 (til today), but failed narrowly to win the GAYP title in 2000 (tied match with King[he also tied for the 11-man title with GM Lowder in 2003]).
Note also that that the late GM Elbert Lowder and GM Richard Hallett and GM Paul Davis have played matches for both titles, but failed to win any title yet.

Note that no Woman ever held both titles, but WGM Amangul Durdyeva, the first GAYP Woman's World Champion has a shot at achieving the aim of the double crown this year.
But this is because there was no GAYP Woman World Champion until she was awarded the title after she won the Prague 2005 World Qualifier.

Also no-one has ever held the triple crown (GAYP; 3-move and 11-man-ballot), but I am not sure if Oldbury was 11-man- World Champion in the 1970's , so I might be wrong about this.

Could someone solve this mystery ?

Also note that Richard Jordan /Scotland won World Championship matches in both restricted and unrestricted style, but at that time the styles were not regarded as different disciplines.

Greetinx from sunny, but winter-cold Dortmund, Germany

Ingo Zachos
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Re: Who was GAYP and 3-move World Champion -- Answer

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:44 am

Ingo,

you absolutely right - R. King (Barbados) and D. Oldbury (England) were the only two people who hold both titles.

There are two other similar things they share:

1) They both are not Americans

2) They both didn't win their titles from gaining Champions.

Derek Oldbury claimed GAYP title in 1975 and in 1976 played a drawn match (1-1-22) with Leo Levitt and retained his title due to tie, In 1991, after M. Tinsley resigned, D. Oldbury won a 3-move Challenger Match vs R. Hallett.

R. King won GAYP title from another Challenger - J. Morrison in 1991 after Don Lafferty retired, and in 1994 R. King won his 3-move title against B. Edwards when D. Oldbury passed away.

Respectfully,

Alex Moiseyev
Last edited by Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby P.R. on Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:02 am

If there was a Checkers tournament being set up with 16 players, seeded 1-16, format being like NCAA basketball March Madness, in a single elimation bracket.

Who would you seed, 1 through 16?

You can include players that are inactive, or dead - but you must include 4 players that are alive today.

So this could be 12 historical players + 4 active players.

Where would the 4 active players of today be seeded compared to the historical players? Maybe more than 4 active players of today are qualified for this?

Rank 1-16.
P.R.

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:26 am

Patrick Rickards wrote:If

The history doesn't like word "IF" ! We can't compare apples and oranges

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby P.R. on Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:44 am

WHy is there top 10 of all time players list on this site then?

This is much more interesting than a top 10 list.
P.R.

Postby whitefork on Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:20 pm

Who would you seed, 1 through 16?

Right off the rating list, whoever entered the tournament.
Пилите, Шура, пилите!
whitefork

Postby whitefork on Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:27 pm

That was an unofficial match in 3-move, 2 move, and GAYP styles I think, no title at stake. I should check Frasier's Inferno at home tonight.

(I originally responded some nonsense about the match with Banks for the 2-move title - please disregard)

I asked Tinsley why he had not competed for the GAYP title when he was in Boston for the match with Chinook. He said that Tom Wiswell asked him not to compete, that there was room in competitive checkers for a major and minor league (pretty much a literal quote as I recall). I guess Tinsley didn't think he needed to prove anything in that area. A GAYP match between Tinsley and Hellman or Oldbury might have been a real slugfest, but who knows?
Пилите, Шура, пилите!
whitefork

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia