History Channel and the Pilgrims

Discussion about all things non-checkers.

History Channel and the Pilgrims

Postby Alan Millhone on Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:31 am

Hello everyone:

Last night I watched the History Channel's program on the trip the Pilgrims made on the Mayflower and the Speedwell to America. On my Mother's side of the family we are directly descended from Captain Myles Standish. My Mother was accepted into the Mayflower Society many years ago after years of research . I wonder if our early settlers played Checkers during those cold and harsh Winter months?

I wish all of you a special Thanksgiving wish of good cheer and to enjoy your families and friends.

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
American Checker Federation
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Re: History Channel and the Pilgrims

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:57 pm

Alan Millhone wrote:
I wonder if our early settlers played Checkers during those cold and harsh Winter months?

Well, since the early settlers arrived thousands of years prior to the Mayflower, crossing the Bering Street (and that was long before the invention of our game!), I would guess that the game was introduced by European Immigrants that settled much, much later.
I was told by a historical group focused on the middle age that at that time different kinds of draughts games were even more popular then chess, it could be even the expedition lead by Chritoph Columbus that could have played draughts (Spanish style ?) in America.

And don't forget that the early Dutch settlers (and French sellters in Canada) also arrived before the Mayflower, so that they might also have introduced draughts on your continent.

The term "Checkers" that was used in the east couties of England at around 1500-1600 ("draughts" was more common in Scotland, the North and in the West) indicates, that the game came to America before the Mayflower, maybe by the crew of Cabot from Bristol who landed in New Foundland or the colonies founded by Queen Elisabeth in Virginia.

Greetinx from Dortmund at midnight,

Ingo Zachos
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Postby Pedro Saavedra on Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:20 pm

Ingo Zachos wrote

> The term "Checkers" that was used in the east couties of England at
> around 1500-1600 ("draughts" was more common in Scotland, the North
> and in the West) indicates, that the game came to America before the
> Mayflower, maybe by the crew of Cabot from Bristol who landed in New
> Foundland or the colonies founded by Queen Elisabeth in Virginia.

Given the 400th hundred anniversary of the founding of Jamestown I am wondering if that is not in the records. Indeed, I am married to an FFV (descendants of the Jamestown colonists) and keep meaning to make a trip to Jamestown with my wife (who is singularly uninterested in her genealogy, perhaps through overexposure to the topic). If I do, I will make a point of investigating.
Pedro Saavedra

Postby Pedro Saavedra on Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:31 pm

I did not have to wait for a visit. Go to http://www.cantonma.org/myweb/phalanp/l ... estown.htm where you will find a letter from Captain John Smith dated 1608 from Jamestown and he states:

"We try to keep our spirits up at night by playing music and playing such games as backgammon and checkers."

There. Sorry Alan, but this antedates the Mayflower.

So do Thanksgiving feasts, by the way. The New Englanders have simply had the better PR.
Pedro Saavedra

Return to Broken Boards