Economic Crisis

Discussion about all things non-checkers.

Economic Crisis

Postby liam stephens on Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:25 am

Definition of some foreign words used to describe the economic downturn:

Tranche: French word meaning "slice", now popular as a euphemism for describing each instalment of bail-out funding.

Troika: Russian word meaning "trio", used to describe the EU/ECB /IMF representatives who supervise the conditions under which we receive our tranches.

Verboten: German word meaning "forbidden". As in "I'm sorry, but it is verboten to burn any bond-holders - unless you want to kiss goodbye to this here tranche"
:) :)
(from the Irish Times 19 Nov 2011)
liam stephens

Re: Economic Crisis

Postby Palomino on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:10 am

Liam,
The words I've most often been hearing to describe the economic downturn are 4 letter words and can't be put in print!
CHECKERS: The Mind Sport of Kings and Ordinary Men.
Palomino

Postby liam stephens on Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:37 am

Yes, Pal:

Like........Burn bond debt..................Deal only gold !!!.
liam stephens

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:14 am

i wish i could say something funny.... but it is hard to say anything at all when you build something great and then it all comes down like a house of cards....

im still dusting myself off.... but i took a few months feeling sorry for myself...

money doesn't matter, i have learnt that much.
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Danny_Alvarez

Postby tommyc on Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:26 am

Good Danny..............it may have been painful for you whatever your situation was ..........but you have learned something very important on the back of it.Spread the Gospel and dont look back.Ive got the same tea-shirt from quite a while ago.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:48 am

Thanks Tommy..... i have learnt my lesson, i just wish i had learnt it in a much more theoretical way and not so empirically....
but that is life, today you are a mere checker, tomorrow you are a king, and viceversa.

all this economical turmoil has debilitated my faith on humanity and has made me aware that chasing money is futile. I thank the Lord for the many many many chances he keeps on granting me.
i know a lot of people make fun of Rocky, i find a lot of inspiration in those movies.... this is from "Rocky Balboa" the last Rocky movie (for now)....

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers...."

here is a link to the scene i am referring to..... http://youtu.be/D_Vg4uyYwEk
this has helped me a lot to get on my feet again, stop blaming others and keep taking hits.... come the 12th round i'll be standing right there ...
cheers to all of you, the ones that got hit by this ugly economic malady and the ones that dodged the bullet :)
Danny Alvarez
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Danny_Alvarez

Return to Broken Boards