2007 Youth World Qualifier

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Re: 2007 Youth World Qualifier

Postby Patrick Parker on Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:38 am

because i needed you to come along and criticize
and therefor make your world complete .....ithanku

satire?
Patrick Parker

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:12 am

mday wrote:
Patrick Parker wrote:about my post earlier....i did say ...dont take my words seriously ...

Then why say it?

Sarcasm - normal method of debate. There are many ways to pass message, and sarcasm is one of them.

Respectfully,

:angel13: Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Patrick Parker on Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:19 pm

d'accord
Patrick Parker

Postby Corey Modich on Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:56 pm

So... the pressing question is: Are we going to impliment a "Plan B" for this event?

I do not like to be forceful when offering up an idea, but 2007 is fast approaching and we need to do something fast if we are to have the dates changed in time.
Saving the Internets, one forum at a time.
Corey Modich

Postby Patrick Parker on Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:30 am

i like how your keeping on this corey
u have any ideas?
Patrick Parker

Postby Corey Modich on Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:31 am

Patrick Parker wrote:i like how your keeping on this corey
u have any ideas?
If you were to ask me I would first of all go to the WDCF and request a change. However, since I doubt that I could handle changing all of this alone I would need some extra help and here is where that begins. I would need to recruit some extra hands to help appeal for a separate date and then onto phase two.

Phase two would include the organization of dates, which would be from mid/late June to early/mid August. As long as it does not conflict with any major tournaments in the meantime.

Thirdly, we would discuss the details of where we would go and how would we get there. Along with media promotion (the media loves young people) and hopefully sponsorship.

However, I first must convince quite a few of you that this is what we need to do. So... start agreeing and we'll get this in order. Heh.
Corey Modich

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:40 am

I understand - there were no other venues and bids for the youth tournament.

Not much to discuss for now.

I think the very first step must be - someone should make a motion in WCDF and they have to reset bidding process and re-open it again, if they think dates need to be change. New deadline also must be determine.

If motion fails - no second step :D

If motion pass successfully, tse second step would be - WCDF collects all bids from all countries and pick the best.

If no other bids comeup before deadline - the youth tournament will be cancelled this year or we return back to plan "A".

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby rich beckwith on Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:41 am

To Corey, Josh, Ryan, and other youth that are interested in attending Youth Qualifier in September:

Would it be of any help to hold the youth event the weekend preceding the adult tournament, similar to how the US National is done? I guess this would be Sept. 15 & 16. I suppose there would still be travel days on the neighboring weekdays, but might help to minimize loss of school time. I'm just throwing out ideas at this point ... this is nothing definite.

Holding a separate youth event in June or July may be a tougher sell since this time is usually tied up with US National, Southern, British Open, etc. Also, separate events would force some people to make two costly trips to Las Vegas, such as referees, Durdyevs (for Bashim), etc.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Postby tommyc on Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:43 am

Hi Corey,
We are all with you and of course we want the youth Ty to be as well thought out as the Masters Tys . Plan "B" will soon be in operation by means of sheer good sense logic if nothing else.

I know you are putting forth a good argument if with a hint of desperation which there is no need and i can sense the wheels of change are slowly moving so hang in there and keep your rationale.

Im sure Kim will back your position even if it causes some upheaval to her organisatioal skills.

Im going for Plan "B"and remember Corey the world is not against you and whatever abt media promo or sponsorship this its most important to lay down a marker and put Plan "B"on a good footing.

Its important the youth of America have a chance to show their appetite this Ty after last year.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby Ryan Pronk on Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:44 pm

Hi Dr. Beckwith,

Once I was told the tentative dates for the qualifier, I immediately made space for it on my calendar. But it doesn't really matter - I already missed out on an opportunity last year, so I will not pass this up one (especially since Las Vegas is only five hours away from me).

To summarize: I will be there !

I have discussed this issue with Corey via instant messenger, and although we agree September is a more "difficult" month for both of us, the summer months would conflict with too many other tournaments (as you noted in your post).

If we had an idea of how many youth are qualified (or simply will participate), then the executive committee could make a rational decision as to whether to make the tournament simply a weekend excursion.

On a personal note, I was disappointed the two qualifiers would be held at the same time. My original hope (and yes, just a hope!) was to also participate in the men's world qualifier. My idea was to follow the same path Clayton went on in 2004.

Just my thoughts,

Ryan
Ryan Pronk

Postby Corey Modich on Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:46 pm

In response to tommyc,

Heh, who cares if it is desperate if it gets the message across and something is done with it?

Thank you for your support. I will do what I can to push for a change of the dates at the very least. Even if we do fail to change it for this year, at least we can say that we took the initiative in order to possibly change it, which might give it some leverage in future years (when Josh is the US youth champ).

If Kim is blamed for this, share some with me. Precedents were followed, however, they need to be changed if we are to make this accessible to as many youth players as possible.

The thing that I wanted to do is right here is to at least get a plan B down, just so that people will think about it. Let thoughts circulate and move onto the next step (yes, I'm studying business, Mr. Parker). The more people positively think about it, the further you can push an idea.

To Dr. Beckwith, I have some really hard courses coming up in the Fall semester 2007, I doubt I would be able to attend during that time even if it was on the weekend... However, I cannot comment on the other youth players.
Corey Modich

Postby Patrick Parker on Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:47 pm

you mentioned durdyevs...how many of them are youth? one two?
that would make it very difficult if two seperate events were held
living so far away the cost would be they would have to also make a choice
the weekend before does sound fair ...but maybe not

this is complicated...

so we have to do what is best for the individuals and for the group of individuals ...i believe this is a business idea
or am i wrong?
Patrick Parker

Postby rich beckwith on Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:56 pm

Thanks for your comments, guys, as you all offered something of value. Please note that the WCDF Exec and Kim have already hashed around the problem with dates months ago, and I raised the issue of youth and school back then. Also, some of our European friends are unaccustomed to (and concerned about) the summer Las Vegas heat, which is another reason we started looking at fall dates. We just had no-win scenarios back then as we do now. At this time, the 2007 calendar is not complete (since bids for US National are still being taken), so who knows what can still happen. We moved the US National to June (from August) in 2005 becasue of that youth tournament. I suggested September 15-16 as a possible compromise for the WQT earlier here, but sounds like this idea doesn't help anyone (yet).

Since this is a qualifier, only 5 youth from USA can attend (3 for ACF, two from ICHF for whoever they choose to sponsor), so trying to get "100 youth" in Las Vegas is not the goal for this event, but we would naturally like to get our 5 best people there -- although conflicts always tend to occur for some people no matter what dates you pick.

I don't know if Durdyevs will attend, as it is a very long trip for them. Bashim is definitely a youth, but I'm not sure how old Parahat is. Naturally, any youth coming from overseas would need chaperones, which is another reason it is beneficial to have all events the same week.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Postby P.R. on Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:03 am

I think Amangul is the women youth player for the family - I think she's 18 or 19.
P.R.

Postby Patrick Parker on Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:54 am

also vegas is known for its night life......who goes out in the day time 8)

besides honestly ....the desert doesnt change much
cept in the winter it gets alot colder at night
Patrick Parker

PreviousNext

Return to Tournament Discussion