Canadian Open

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Canadian Open

Postby kim willis on Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:07 am

has anyone heard about Canadas results yet? who won etc etc.

kim
kim willis

Re: Canadian Open

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:59 am

1. A. Moiseyev - 17
2. R. Beckwith - 11
3. E. Morrison - 10 (new Canadian Champion)
4. L Adams - 9
5. A. Millhone - 8
6. K. Shoesmith - 5

This was an excellent wonderful checkers event I ever had. I am glad I didn't miss it this year.

I was lucky to win both games against Leroy Adams, Earl Morrison and Alan Millhone, and one game against the greatest survivor :lol: Ken Shoesmith. I will put games under other forum session.

Respectfully,

Alex Moiseyev
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Re: Canadian Open

Postby rich beckwith on Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:17 am

Yes, Congrats to Mr. Alex for a convincing victory! Thanks goes to the Canadian Checker Association and the local Thunderbids for putting together a ~$2000 prize fund, as well as giving each participant a fine pen & watch set ($100 value!). I enjoyed the fall colors and the trip to Niagara Falls on the way back. Leroy Adams is already aggresively planning ahead for the next Canadian Open in Winnipeg to be held in early July of 2008.

Also significant this weekend was the time spent by Alan, Alex, Ted Speevac, Leroy, and myself talking about the future of checkers and how to promote the game. More to follow in the future....
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Comments on my trip to Canadian Open

Postby Alan Millhone on Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:04 pm

Hello everyone:

Enjoyed reading Mr. Alex's and Dr. Beckwith's comments and Mr. Alex's game diagrams. Those who did not attend missed a well run and competitive tournament this past week end. Mr. Ken Showsmith is to be commended for his efforts. At this year's tournament the torch (being Canadian Checker Association President) was passed from Mr. Shoesmith to Mr. Leroy Adams who plans on having the next Canadian Open (2 years from now) in Winnipeg (pop. 800,000). I hope to be able to attend and enter.

For this year's tournament my Wife and 21 year old Grandson David went along on the trip. Outside of Cleveland we picked up Dr. Beckwith at his work place and he rode with us to Hamilton/Ontario. This years tourney was once again held in downtown Hamilton at the Ramada Inn (a fine venue). We once again had a nice playing room and ice water provided each day for the players. The local newspaper arrived and the reporter did a nice article that featured Mr. Alex and some of his remarks about the game of Checkers. Next to our playing room is an excellent work out facility, swimming pools and a nice sauna (free to registered guests). It was nice to see and chat with Mr. Ted Speevak again and on Saturday Grandmaster Ed Bruch stopped by the tournament for a visit. I had a great time being challenged by top Master and Grandmaster players. Mr. Adams commented that my play was better than two years ago :-) Nice words for an average player as myself to hear. On Sunday we had breakfast and headed back home. Along the way we stopped for a couple of hours at Niagra Falls . Our Grandson had never seen the falls before and was quite impressed. We had lunch and made our way to the border and on our way back ot Ohio. I had a great time and thank our Canadian hosts for making us feel right at home.

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
American Checker Federation
" AN AVERAGE CHECKER PLAYER "
===============================================
Checkers------ " You know the game------ Now learn to play it "
Quote by: Victoria Millhone

===============================================
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Canadian open

Postby kim willis on Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:31 pm

Alan i am glad you had a wonderful time there.I hope that the Canadians will join us in 2007 WQ.Was there any thing about that come up?

kim
kim willis

Canadians at WCDF World Qualifier--------- 2007

Postby Alan Millhone on Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:33 pm

Hello Kim:

It appears that Mr. Leroy Adams and Mr. Earl Morrison have intentions of playing next year in the GAYP World Qualifier.

Sincerely:
Alan
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Return to Tournament Discussion