*ATTENTION* All players on Bid for World Qualifier

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Re: *ATTENTION* All players on Bid for World Qualifier

Postby tommyc on Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:38 pm

I did get to Vegas in 2001 and i must agree it is a homely venue and i felt at home there.Not that i gamble b/c i dont at all,so from the feed back from the 15 or so of us who went to Vegas 2001 i think all are in harmony with that venue.

I congratulate my good friend Kim on doing a good job and hope she and her committee keep in mind the Irish Open in 07 ,so as not to clash,which from what i hear intends to be a BIG one.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby David Harwood on Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:47 pm

I think that Vegas is an excellent choice. It is a very exciting place to be in with many attractions for all. Well done Kim.
David Harwood

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:25 pm

This cycle I may try (depends on my vacation situation) to give a shot for GAYP title and play in QT or challenge Ron King independently. Personally - I don't see much difference - Las Vegas, Paris, London, Kentucky or Tennesse ! Everything seems to be the same - magic triangle: hotel, playing room, restaurant :D

I don't know much about GAYP, but someone told me - it's just a small part of 3-move deck !

Alex
Last edited by Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby mday on Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:49 am

Ms. Becky wrote::lol: Kim I am sure that there are many U.S. cities that can meet those qualifications. I think that it would be nice to show our foreign quests that there is much more to our country than just gambling, which seems to be the only reason why it is being held in Las Vegas. Also seconds after the U. S. was named Las Vegas was choosen as the site for this event without any thought being given to any other site. Now my question again is who made that decision (without any consideration being given to other places). It isn't as though there was not time to appoint a committee to look into this. I am sure that other ACF members would like to see a checker event held in their area--such as the east coast area or the southeast. Most major area have gambling, low room and food prices; international airports etc.;plus lots a outside attractions, so that should not be the criteria to automatically give it to one place over another without looking at other places to have some comparision. (Atlantic City, St. Louis, Atlanta, Chicago etc. etc.). :lol:

Why would you have a say? You don't even play.
mday

Postby Mr. Checkers on Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:07 pm

:lol: M-Day the ACF Executive Commitee encourages imput from the ACF membership, not all of which are active checker players. Perhaps that page was missing from your ACF membership documentation. The ACF Executive Commitee does not make its decisions on a random "GAYP" basis (which you are more familiar with). Imput from fellow ACF members is very important to their decision making process. I am sure that your positive imput would always be welcomed by them. And I am also sure that if I was to make a $15,000 bid to bring the King-Moiseyev Championship Match here to Dubuque that you would without hesitation immediately email Alan to protest that Ms. Becky can't do that because she does not even play checkers!! Meow!!, Meow!! :lol: "Inky"
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby rich beckwith on Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:49 pm

dear mday, I'll kindly point out that he has indeed entered many checker tournaments in the past in PA and Ohio, when still able to do so. Two of his games with Alex received "special" annotation by Alex and were included in the new Ohio book (and previously in this forum).
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Postby mday on Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:04 pm

"He" ??

Am I missing something here? I thought "Ms." means it's a female? Is there something wrong here?
mday

Postby Mr. Checkers on Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:25 pm

:lol: M-Day as in checkers, knowledge is power. Ms. Becky is the secretary/treasurer at the World of Checkers Museum, the John Caldwell-Irving Windt Library of Checkers, "Checker Book World"; plus she is the proprietor of "Becky's Books on the Square". She posts most of the messages on the ACF Forum for Mr. Checkers, who is seldomly seen or heard from due to illness. She uses her real name on the ACF Forum. Ms. Becky is a one of a kind lady and she has been real treasure to Mr. Checkers, the ACF community and to me, since she feeds me my cat food every morning. And she has been very influental in the creation of one of the finest checker libraries and museums that the world has ever known. :lol: "Inky" P.S. If you go back on the Forum to December 10th-11th, 2005 you will see Alex's post of the games that he played with Mr. Checkers.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

In response to Ingos Question Earlier

Postby kiwinurse on Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:41 pm

Have only just seen it, apologies Ingo.I would hate to give an opinion on who was the tuffest between Patricia and Amangel,i think the match will be close,good luck to both
kiwinurse

Postby tommyc on Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:15 pm

Hi Jan ..............yes i agree it gonna be close with Amangul , considering shes coming from a competitive draughts enviornment.

This will be her first big test, it will also be Patricias venture into the unknown.................its hard to call.!!

But Jan you are not out of the picture ...so be ready.

I duno if you can make it for the Irish Open in 07 i hope you can because i feel you are a lil isolated in N.Z. and being around the top players does improve the mind-set for the future.

As Sean Carlin (r.i.p) used to say playing isnt everything........talking draughts is just as important.!!
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

i agree

Postby kiwinurse on Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:19 pm

Hi there Tommy,id love to come back..Id agree with you,we are very isolated here,and competition is nil,but im not out of the picture yet,ill try to return somewhere in 2007, if i can get the money to come,ill meet you all again which is far more important i feel
kiwinurse

Visit to Ireland

Postby liam stephens on Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:47 am

Hi Jan, we would love to see you visiting Ireland again. I'm sure der vill be de Velkommen on de mat (and not only if ur name is tim_othy or p_hat - lol).

Regards - Liam.

PS Somebody (it may have been Myles na gCopaleen ) once said:
" The air is bracing in Bundoran". :)
liam stephens

Liam

Postby kiwinurse on Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:00 pm

Its because of the finest people like you Liam that makes me want to return to the other side of the world to play checkers.As i said before its not really about checkers but about the people that you meet at the tournaments,but one of my dreams is to play at the welsh open and meet my friend Lindus Edwards,and if i can combine next years world qualifier with the Welsh open,which is also held in September ill be there.
kiwinurse

Previous

Return to Tournament Discussion