Virginia Open

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Virginia Open

Postby JR Smith on Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:39 am

Results posted with pictures and scoresheet... more pictures later.

http://www.nccheckers.org/NCCA/2006%20O ... e%20Ty.htm
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
JR Smith

Re: Virginia Open

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:01 pm

Congratulations to Dr. John Webster ! He looks so relax on each photo - real champ ! Also many congrats to new VA State Champ - Kevin Burks ! Nice performance. Is it his first time State Champion title ?

Sorry - I was unable to play here. Life is short, vacation is small :roll: I'll try to make it next year. September - October usually are very booked with checkers events.

$50 for the first price looks like bad joke :twisted:

Respectfully,

Alex Moiseyev

========================================================

NC site is awesome !!!
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby mday on Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:43 am

This is Kevin Burk's 2nd year in a row being State champion. He won the VA tournament in 2005
mday

Postby mday on Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:40 am

[quote="shr"

$50 for the first price looks like bad joke :twisted:

[/b][/color][/quote]

The Prize pool was $215.

1st Place should just get all of it. Or maybe $150 to tournament winner and the rest to state champion.
mday

Virginia Open

Postby JR Smith on Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:31 am

We were extremely happy with the turn out; it
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
JR Smith

Reply to Mr. Alex and JR Smith:

Postby Alan Millhone on Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Hello everyone:

Checker players will show up at tournaments and play if the prize for first is only $1.00........... Simply because we love to play the game and being around other Checker players. It would be nice to be able to offer say $1,000.00 for first place ,etc. To do this we will have to find a corporate sponsor for our ACF............... Any of you looking for such a sponsor? If we get one we can offer higher prizes which in turn will attract over time media coverage and that in turn will catch the attention of new players and induce them to come and enter our tournaments. Some of you might scoff at my idea, but it has never been earnstly delved into over past decades in the ACF. The ACF is set up as a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization. I thought of having a ' finding a corporate sponsor' contest,etc. I am open for any and all suggestions on my idea............ Not interested in hearing negative complaints,etc. Just positive feedback that will lead the ACF towards getting a corporate sponsor.

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
American Checker Federation
" JOURNEYMAN CHECKER PLAYER "
===============================================
Checkers------ " The mind sport alternative to video games "
===============================================
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Re: Reply to Mr. Alex and JR Smith:

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:48 pm

Alan Millhone wrote:Checker players will show up at tournaments and play if the prize for first is only 1.00

Thats for sure !

The Russian proverb says: "It is better to be healthy and wealthy, than sick and poor!" :D
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby tommyc on Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:20 am

It would be great to have a big sponsor but you might consider what one of our Irish clubs do and that is have 30 small sponsors at say $50 each which isnt alot of money that equals $1500.

To do this the local checker organisation will need to be putting themselves about and be seen and heard on the ground .bringing the attention of prospective sponsors in that l;ocality?

The Lord helps those who help themselves .

Another idea and one that i have advocated in many a meeting here in the N/W Draughts Fed. is that the governing bodybe it here or the ACF have a
fund raisung policy and that the governing body help finance Tys and draughts and not the other way around where the clubs are actually funding the gonerning body.

The driving force must come from above.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby Gene Lindsay on Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:12 pm

You guys that keep complaining about the prize fund in our tys need to find another hobby. No one is going to make any money playing checkers and all of us that go to these tys know this. We go to play checkers and have fun. Most tys here only have the entry fees and a few donations for the prize fund and I see nothing wrong with the prize distribution, you have to work with what you have. I also think everyone at the ty was happy with it, so instead of complaining, make a donation then you would be doing something useful.

Gene Lindsay
Gene Lindsay

Postby mday on Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:19 pm

Actually, you do most of the complaining.
mday

Postby tommyc on Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:21 pm

My line on this subject is simply,apart from many or even most checker players world-wide who would go "to hell or to Connaught" just to play for a dollar and this is commendable. But my thoughts on it is this.............we wont attract any or little new talents into draughts in this way.

We need to interest people to draughts and we wont do it in this modern world by a dollar Ty.Its a downright plain insult.

The old ways are kaput its time to move on and obviously Gene you are living in cuckoo land at the "back of the hill if you think that you will attrct the younger gereration to participate for a dollar or even fifty.

Move on and get yor head out of the sand that would be helpful for years to come.

Pay peanuts and invariably you will get monkeys.
tommyc

Postby Gene Lindsay on Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:47 pm

That is fine, you can make all the suggestions about how to raise money you want and that is fine. They have all been suggested before but show me one that has worked. The only way you can get sponsers is being on TV and I doubt that Checkers will ever be on TV.
Are you suggesting that we should quit having checker tys unless we can get more money for the prize fund?
Tommy I think you are the one living in cukoo land if you think there is ever going to be in money in playing Checkers. Never has been and I doubt there ever will.

Gene Lindsay
Gene Lindsay

re: virginia open

Postby steve on Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:07 pm

from one who has play in tournments since the 1940's i would say that gene has it right.
steve

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:18 pm

It was my fault. I said "$50 for the first price is a bad joke". Sorry guys :roll:

Well ... actually I would be glad to come here next year even for $1 - here I agree with Gene. But I also know - some other states often find a money, little bit more than just an entry fees. I am not complaining - this is real life. I wish I can say - Steve is wrong, but he is absolutely right !

We had checkers on the lowest level 60 years ago, and nothing really change today. We all are fanatics :wav:
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby tommyc on Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:14 am

Keep thinking like thaT Gene and its obvious you are not a cuckoo but an Ostrich..............and one simple question how many sponsors have you approached in your long and "checkered" (pardon the pun) career??

So you think tv is a good way.............g***** you want it all left in your lap.Well my man let me tell you you get nuthin for nuthin in this life..........you wanna start at the TOP and work your way down which is not how it goes.

Checkers is the way it is b/c of guys like you, and if i may say so twill remain so, with all that sand in your ears.!! grrrrrrrrrrrr
tommyc

Next

Return to Tournament Discussion