play in next national tournament at minor class level

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

play in next national tournament at minor class level

Postby neilwenberg on Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:07 am

At the 2007 national tournament, I would like to see the minor class played in 2 game matches with 16 different opponents. This will give the same number of games as previously but will provide a greater number of opponents to play. Each two game match would be scored in the game style with 2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw.
Neil H. Wenberg
neilwenberg

Re: play in next national tournament at minor class level

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:47 am

Neil, if you have more than 16 attendants in Minor Division - who will be rejected ? :D One year we had 25 players in Minors.

And how you handle the situation when you have less than 16 players in Minors ... Lets say - 10 ?

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby rich beckwith on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:47 am

Thanks for suggestion Neil. Based on past surveys I have conducted, 2-game rounds scored by game seems preferred by majority for GAYP, even with the Masters. This is also consistent with what most of the rest of the world does. Therefore, the Exec has discussed implementing this for 2007 GAYP. (Fans of "4-game rounds" will still have they turn at 3-move Nationals, where you also have the tough deck for Masters.)

As Alex pointed out, there will be challenges when you don't have the numbers for a nice "round robin." This winter I would like to prepare a chart of a pre-determined format to cover all possible situations. If you have 26 players, Swiss can be used. If you have something like 12 or 18 players, then you may have to do combo formats like "Round robin plus two playoff rounds of Swiss," or "round robin minus two players you don't play. Comments are welcome if this is getting too convoluted, but I don't know of any good alternatives without seriously reducing numbers of rounds/games, which would turn National into a 2- or 3-day tourney.

Also, if any computer experts know of "pairing software" that can schedule
13 or 15 rounds, then I would be interested to know more. I already have round robin charts for 14 or 16 players.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Postby neilwenberg on Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:30 pm

Many more are rejected when one only plays 8 opponents. If there are less than 16 in minors you play an extra round with someone else who has the same amount of points as you do, just as is done now in one class tournies in OH and PA.
Neil H. Wenberg
neilwenberg

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:14 am

In chess I use Swiss-Chess which is very powerful:

http://www.swiss-chess.de/home_en.htm

try the Demo...

Greetinx from Germany,

Ingo Zachos
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Postby shinzen on Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:32 am

We use swiss prefect and it is very good program with more options.
In last time I test Vega5 and Sevilla 10. Good too.
Regards,
Igor Keder
shinzen

Postby neilwenberg on Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:27 am

I am not looking for Swiss vs. Double Knockout or anything like that. My interest is in being able to play against more opponents in the next national tournament, so that is reason I propose 16- 2 game rounds!!
Neil H. Wenberg
neilwenberg

Scoring at the 2007 GAYP National Tourney

Postby Roberto L Ernest on Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:03 pm

Has anyone considered 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw? That way a person with a win and a draw would score 3 points while someone with two draws would score only 2, a small premium for playing more ambitiously.

Robert L Ernest -- Chicago IL -- 14/10 at 9,00pm
Roberto L Ernest

Postby tommyc on Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:45 am

Not a bad idea....Roberto.

Professional soccer is scored like this.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby tommyc on Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:18 pm

Any news from KY..................TOMMY
tommyc

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:54 pm

See results under other topic.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby tommyc on Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:09 pm

Well done Alex......them guys gave you a run for your money esp Jonathan ,told you em Kentucky men would ....Its not a handicap you would want @10 second a move esp agin you..grrrrr.....i can empathise w/ Gene on that one...think i remember doing that w/ Francesco in Vegas very hairy experience. But you done the honorable thing,mmmm you are becoming quite a checker statesman??.

It was nice to see Ian and Joan there from the IOW. Can i expect a nice framed "Masters" certificate for my wall and a........NICER COPY OF SIXTH anytime soon?????...Tommy Congrats again!!
tommyc

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:23 pm

About my game with Gene Lindsay ...

What also really helped me to make decision - draw wasn't very hard and I am 100% sure Gene would find it easy having 30-60 seconds per move. If I was unable to win a game in normal course under normal time - I can convince and criticize only myself !

I am not a big fan of fast games, but don't have much problems with this and easy caring rating close to 2700 on Kurnik by playing 2-3 minutes games :lol:

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:40 am

Rapid games and time trouble r real fun killers if you r looking for fair and deserved victories.

At the German Open we played with 30 minutes for a whole game, which seems to have decided the final standing, as some players tried to benefit from the opponents time trouble and others conceedeed draw, even if their opponent just blundered because of time trouble, which sometimes accured because of noise in the playing hall, unexperience with recording a game, or clocks with malfunction.

In chess we face similar problems, but the rules r clearer.
We have special rules for finishing the game in rapid style, which allow the player in time troube to ask the referee to call the game a draw if it is a draw (the refreee may use a database or the opinon of a strong player to make his final decision), or if he is in a won position. He may stop the clock and ask the referee for a decision if he has less then 3 minutes left.
The referee then decides either to call it a draw or to continue the game.
Also the players r forced to record the game until these final 3 minutes, if they did not do it, they have to record the moves they did not record on their own time, as in other cases you can get a clock advantage by not recording the moves at an early stage.
I hope that the WCDF may create a set of rules that can be used in the future to decide on the issues of time-troube, recording, draw reclamation etc..

Greetinx from sunny Dortmund, Germany
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Postby tommyc on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:54 am

Hi Ingo ...........The WCDF do not need to deliberate on such silly things.

Its pretty obvious that playing 30 min games is just plain stupid and will lead to all kinds of impossible situations that the good Lord himself couldnt fix.

No 2 get clocks that work.

Get numbers on the boards to make it easier to record..........after all you dont learn to drive in a racing car.

As the old man said "start as you mean to go on"..in other words if your house is built oN sand then it will surely SINK.

So save yourself the heartache and dont do 30 min games!!.
tommyc

Return to Tournament Discussion