National class placement

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

National class placement

Postby MFulkerson on Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:17 am

Couldnt help but notice it said players may play up one class...I would be in majors with my 2090 but if its ok with the upper players id like to try at masters only im an attempt to learn more. Im aware entering this class should be earned and i dont want to anger anyone by asking to play in this class but I would really like to try. comments, opinions from tournament players?
MFulkerson

Re: National class placement

Postby Patrick Parker on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:17 am

give em draws and you will make them unhappy.....as good as wins
good luck
Patrick Parker

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:45 am

Ha-ha !Welcome to the jungle, Mike ! You have my full support, nice idea. I wish you good luck, but it will not be easy first time :D We, old crocodiles, like fresh meal :P

Kidding ... Seriously talking, I am glad to see that romantic and challenge spirit doesn't go away and we have young players who really look at the heaven, not at the ground.

I would feel unhappy :roll: if i drew round against anyone, not only Mike !

See you all at Medina !

Regards,

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby bazkitcase5 on Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:37 am

i think it is a good idea

from my personal learning curve, i've learned that experience is everything when it comes to success in the masters division

best way to gain this experience is by playing
bazkitcase5

Postby rich beckwith on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:51 pm

Well, Mike, you are certainly well within the ACF bulletin rules to play up one class if you wish. It will be a very tough test, but I am sure you will find it to be a great learning experience when you are through.

We have seen other young adults do well in recent years in their first Master's 3-move appearance (Steve Jones and Clint Olsen in 2002, Clayton Nash in 2004), so I would not be surprised if you finish ahead of a number of guys if you play well.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

ACF Executive Support

Postby Michael Holmes on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:03 pm

Mike, you are on the right track! Things have changed under our new Executive team and I don't see anyone in our ranks that would give you a hard time about playing one division up.

I was signing up for a tournament one time and the masters had an uneven number. The president (balderson) approached me and asked me to play a level down as the majors had an uneven number too! I told him that he could play a level down if he wanted to but I was not going to do such a thing. Lowder walked by and said that I should not be scared to play in the masters. I told Lowder that I was playing in the masters and Les was trying to force me to play in the majors. Since I had just had 3 hard draws with Lowder (for fun) he told Les that I was just as capable as anyone. Reluctantly Les allowed me to play but the point is that I think we will never see that type of attitude again--at least we will not from Millhone.

Good luck to you Mike and I hope I am not the first person you play as you gave me some bit of trouble in the IL tournament that I beat moiseyev in.

Michael Holmes
Michael Holmes

Return to Tournament Discussion