South Africa vs USA in February 2014

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

South Africa vs USA in February 2014

Postby Michael Holmes on Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:44 pm

There are plans for a USA vs. South Africa match in February 2014. If you would like to be on the USA team please contact the ACF executives, preferably the ACF Representative, Michael Holmes.

October 2013 will see a rematch of USA vs. Barbados. USA has won all their matches since 1929! The last match with Barbados in 2004 was very close. USA won by 3 games. This match will be very difficult and the match next year in South Africa will also be a challenge.
Michael Holmes

Re: South Africa vs USA in February 2014

Postby Michael Holmes on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:02 pm

USA-South Africa match. Tentative plans are in the works for a US team to travel to Port Elizabeth, South Africa for a three-day international match (GAYP & 3-move) in February 2014. Tour includes hospitality and sight-seeing, but players and guests would be responsible for airfare and any extra days of stay. Master players who are interested may contact Michael Holmes (michaelholmes@insightbb.com) or Richard Beckwith (beckwith24@msn.com) for more info.
Michael Holmes

Postby rich beckwith on Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:31 pm

Final request -- Do any American checker players (and guests) wish to attend this event? A few well-known checker players have already told me they plan to go. I don't think this will be the full formal international match of previous eras, so invite is not restricted to just master players. Proposed dates are February 10-14 (mix of GAYP and 3-Move). You are responsible for airfare, but I believe local accommodations for these days will be covered, including a safari tour.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:24 pm

Dates of match are close - February 10-14 if I am not mistaken. Lets hope this ACF initiative will be more successful and ACF accomplish it's promise to collect enough tourists s to travel.

Who is going to SA ?

Respectfully,

Alex Moiseyev
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby rich beckwith on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:05 pm

There won't be a match this February -- only 2-3 people committed to go next month. But there are others who are generally interested in going (just not next month), so I wrote (several weeks ago) the South Africa organizers about reconsdiering for next year, but they have not responded about this option.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:52 pm

rich beckwith wrote:reconsdiering for next year
Next year in February 15 we (USA team) are going to Italy play 3-moves match. I had this preliminary arrangement with World Champion Michelle Borghetti and Sergio Scarpetta at the end of 3-moves World Title Match in July.

In addition, several USA strong players in 2013 expressed interest to travel to Italy. My list includes 6 or 7 players.

So ... February 2015 is not the best time for ACF vs SA match because we have USA vs Italy. I believe Michelle, Sergio and other Italy authorities are working on this now.

When we discussed and picked dates I told them that in 2014 there will be match with SA and we moved everything to 2015.

Regards,

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Return to Tournament Discussion