Southern States Tournament, etc.

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Southern States Tournament, etc.

Postby Michael Holmes on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:30 pm

I just found out that Alex and I will be able to play in the Southern States Tournament. We are still trying to talk his mom into letting him play in the National Tournament(He will be with her that week). He has his passport and will be with me from October 3rd (maybe earlier if the WQT starts earlier) thru the 20th. Fall Break is October 6th through 20th so hopefully he does not have to miss any school for the WQT. Only problem might be is I can not leave until October 1st at night time due to opening our database to start the new Fiscal Year.
Michael
Michael Holmes

Re: Southern States Tournament, etc.

Postby JR Smith on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:48 pm

We're expecting a good crowd of players for this year's Southern.

The 2013 Southern Checker Tournament will be held at Lebanon, TN on July 5th - 7th 2013, at the Days Inn in Lebanon, TN 37087. The inn is located on Highway 231 (822 Cumberland Street), near I-40 (take exit 238). On Friday, July 5, registration begins at 9am followed by a business meeting at 10am. Tournament play will begin at 11am. The tournament will consist of 8 rounds: 3 rounds on Friday, 4 rounds on Saturday, 1 round on Sunday. For reservations, call 1-615-449-5781 and tell them you are a checker player. King or Doubles Checker Players rate is $42.00 (Tennessee Tax 16.24% = Total $48.82 per night) Please make your reservations early. For more information, call Frank Davis at 1-931-552-4246. Submitted by Frank Davis, Pres. of Southern Checker Association

This is one of the oldest continuous Checker Tournament in the country... A Southern Tradition! The first Southern States Checker Tournament was played in Atlanta, GA on 9/10 -12, 1908 and won by F. B. "Captain" Fishburne from Columbia, SC. It is held yearly since, and sanctioned by the American Checker Federation. Usually scheduled close to the 4th of July weekend, Friday thru Sunday.
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
JR Smith

Postby JR Smith on Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:18 am

Here are the cross tables and summary of tournament results http://www.nccheckers.org/NCCA/2013%20S ... esults.htm
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
JR Smith

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:32 am

Congratulations to Jim with impressive victory and Larry and Michael as runners-up. Thanks to everyone for doing a good job.

It was very interesting to read information about funds on nccheckers site regarding TN 2014 news. Lets wait and see when gold rain will fall on checkers players :D

Southern 2013 was very tough competition for Alex Holmes. He is not newcomer for master players now and they took him seriously with no excuse. I am sure this will help him to learn from his mistakes and come back stronger. No tragedy and I don't see anything wrong with his performance - normal part of progress.

Good luck to everyone.

Due to Paul relocation on WASHU campus in Saint Louis in the 3rd week of August I may not be able to attend PA or mid-OH events and as-of-today it is appeared more likely that my next checkers event will be OH State tourney in September. I am still planning to visit ACF GAYP National in Cincinnati on the last day of event on Saturday, August 3.

AM
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Return to Tournament Discussion