ACF Youth National

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

ACF Youth National

Postby JR Smith on Tue May 07, 2013 9:11 pm

2013 ACF National Youth Open Tournament & Mississippi State Open Checker Tournament
Friday, May 24th through Monday, May 27th, 2013 at Hall II ICHF, 220 Lynn Ray Road, Petals, MS 39465
(The Mississippi Open is traditionally held every Memorial Day weekend)

The ACF National Youth Open will be held in Petal, MS over Memorial Day weekend. They will play a one day tournament, Saturday, May 25th. The ICHF (International Checker Hall of Fame), Hall II - 220 Lynn Ray Road, Petal, MS 39465 will match the ACF youth fund of $500 for a total youth fund of $1,000. In addition the ICHF will cover food and bed (dormitory style) for 24 out of town youth and 6 adults, whom will be needed for chaperones and or referees while staying at the ICHF facilities from Friday, May 24th until Monday morning May 27th. Please note there are separate quarters for boys and girls. All parents and guests are invited to eat (cafeteria style) complimentary, during the youth tournament. In addition the ICHF will provide ICHF certificates, awards, and prizes to winners, the local media will cover the event. Hopefully John Acker can also promote it via internet. Any parent that prefers to keep their youth with them at a local hotel will be furnished hotel information which will cost them between $35 and $50 per night. Call 601-307-7070 or 601-582-7090. Grand Master Alex Moiseyev plans to give a 30 minute lecture and simultaneous exhibition for the youth. There will be g rated or pg movies shown on the big screen in the evenings. We are also expecting a professional pool table to arrive. We have a youth gold of 50, this basically covers the arrangements. Enthusiastically, Charles Walker (601)-582-7090 or e-mail: ichfcheckers@aol.com

In addition to the Youth National, Mississippi Checker Association will hold a MS Out-of-State Player's Tournament on May 25th & 26th for the adult players. They also plan to have their 2013 Mississippi State Open Checker Tournament on Monday, May 27th (Memorial Day) after the Youth tournament at the ICHF. This way the MS Players can assist the Youth and still be able to compete, according to Mr. Walker.
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
JR Smith

Re: ACF Youth National

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed May 22, 2013 6:14 am

We are getting close. Mark Sokolovsky will join me and John on our trip to Petal. He never been there before. We plan to start from Columbus on Thursday afternoon (Mark should arrive here from Cleveland by this time) and after half way we'll stop in Nashville over the night. Anthony Bishop kindly offered to stay one person in his house over the night. Two other will be in hotel. We are planning to use John car, which has mileage over 200K but still better than and safer than mine and Mark cars. Driving my car is the same as "walking on the clouds"

I don't think I can teach kids (or even masters !) to play at grandmaster level for 30 minutes, but this is enough time introduce myself and tell a little about checkers, title, present and past.

In addition - we have a short MS Out-of-state Open Tournament on Saturday-Sunday. MS Open should start (and finish) on Monday if I am not mistaken.

I am still thinking about simultaneous play with masters, but probably they can join with kids.

AM
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Michael Holmes on Thu May 23, 2013 8:28 am

How many players for the adult group on Saturday and Sunday do they expect? I plan to be there but my son has a soccer tournament and will not be there.
Michael Holmes

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu May 23, 2013 12:00 pm

I hope Charles Walker and Bill Parker join us ... ? We also may have few (not all) MS players. So - I am still optimistic about 8 players Robin Round event.
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby neilwenberg on Fri May 24, 2013 10:33 am

Maybe I am elgible to play in the ACF Youth National, I am in my second childhood!
Neil H. Wenberg
neilwenberg

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Mon May 27, 2013 2:40 pm

Congratulations to the youthful champions.

And to the organizers. It seems there is some going on !

Greetinx from Europe,

Ingo Zachos
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Return to Tournament Discussion