English open

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Re: English open

Postby john reade on Thu May 02, 2013 2:43 am

This involves treating Con Boyle as if he were a bye. If you do this you find that the order of the top 5 plyaers in the A Section is not affected. So it wouldn't have affected the prize distribution.
john reade

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu May 02, 2013 6:19 am

john reade wrote:This involves treating Con Boyle as if he were a bye. If you do this you find that the order of the top 5 plyaers in the A Section is not affected. So it wouldn't have affected the prize distribution.
That's another story - even with 2 extra points Lindus still keep 4th place without moving up.
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Lindus Edwards on Thu May 02, 2013 6:34 am

Many thanks for that information Alex. If Con had played the opponents who received the four points in his absence he might have beaten them – even by two wins and they would therefore have got 0 points in place of 4. That would have been wonderful for me then of course :) In some tournaments, and this was my worst in many years, things can go badly :( :( :(
Lindus Edwards

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu May 02, 2013 7:01 am

Room and tables must be bigger, no questions about this. Small room and bad ventilation sometimes can make much more worse than even couple extra points.

Many people criticized R. Fisher for being very selective and sensitive to all game components: lighting, noise, chairs, tables, clocks, pieces, etc. But I totally agree with him. Humans are not machine !
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Lindus Edwards on Thu May 02, 2013 8:26 am

Yes, that playing room was small Alex. I have a garage the EDA are welcome to use free of charge. It is a lot bigger than the playing room at the recent English Open! I felt a sense of suffocation due to lack of ventilation in that terribly small room. Not to mention the bumps I took to my poor head by the low ceiling and beams. :(
Lindus Edwards

Postby john reade on Thu May 02, 2013 10:55 am

There is no doubt the room was too small. Several players refused to come because of this. Ventilation however was not a problem because the room was open at one end. One the other hand this led to noise interference. Particularly when the pub was busy.
john reade

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu May 02, 2013 11:13 am

john reade wrote:Particularly when the pub was busy.
Weaskey smell !!!
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Lindus Edwards on Thu May 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Ventilation was a problem for me John. I sat at the back of the room, hemmed in a corner as the video showed. Your end of the room was reasonably ventilated however :)

Familiar faces were absent at this year's English Open because of the tunnel we played in. Oops, sorry I meant to say “room” we played in. We need to be careful that we don't lose more players because of it.

Perhaps we could find a church hall for free somewhere. Anywhere really will do so long as it has a venue free of charge and has a room large enough to avoid playing cheek by jowl.

Regards,

Lindus.
Lindus Edwards

Postby Lindus Edwards on Fri May 03, 2013 10:36 am

Ah, now that's an idea John. Only problem for me is that with my dreadfully poor arthritic state I doubt if I could move that well :(

After five days in that claustrophobic room I emerged a physical and mental wreck, with my joints in agony so much so that I could barely get back to my accommodation merely yards away! I am now recuperating and trying to achieve a semblance of normality to my severely affected mind and body, lol.

What a stark contrast there is to the venue of the Northern Ireland Open Championship which takes place this August. Simply magnificent, and well done once again to the Irish who never fail to please in such matters. I hear Ron King will be attending this one. But my money will go on Shane :)

I am not, in any way, criticising the EDA for the substandard venue of the recent English Open as they do their best with the small funds they have available. They do a great job, and their very best for which I am grateful. It is not easy when there is no money about. :(
Lindus Edwards

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Fri May 03, 2013 10:44 am

Lindus Edwards wrote:I hear Ron King will be attending this one. But my money will go on Shane :)
Same with me. I am also wondering if Mr. Hugh Devlin will appear on arena after several years silence ? His participation will definitely contribute to intrigue :D

BTW. Will Ron King attend USA GAYP 2013 in August ?
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Lindus Edwards on Fri May 03, 2013 11:14 am

Hi Alex,

I was told at the English Open, by a highly reliable source, that the great player Hugh Devlin will be playing in the Northern Ireland Open.

Not sure if Ron King will attend the event you mentioned. I have not heard anything about this.

Regards,

Lindus.
Lindus Edwards

Previous

Return to Tournament Discussion