English open

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

English open

Postby kiwinurse on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:49 pm

Any News yet?
kiwinurse

Re: English open

Postby kiwinurse on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:39 pm

Why is it so hard to get English open results posted daily on here?I dont understand it,Surely theres someone there than can post results.Dont like to complain,but this happens every year. Does no-one have the internet at the English open?
kiwinurse

Postby Hugh Devlin on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:35 pm

The results are available on the Scottish Draughts Association Website. The Northern Ireland duo of Mc Cosker and Mc Nally have established a considerable leadat the hald way point. see
http://www.scottishdraughts.com/british-english-wales
Hugh Devlin

Postby kiwinurse on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:22 pm

Thanks Hugh
kiwinurse

Postby kiwinurse on Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:24 pm

My congratulations too Shane as well,well done Shane.And also Francis,well done Francis.
kiwinurse

Postby Lindus Edwards on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:22 pm

Congratulations to Shane McCosker on winning the English Open Championship. A fine performance.

It was unfortunate that Con Boyle had to withdraw from the event due to an illness in his family. I wish Con's family member a good recovery.

Due to Con's sad withdrawal the tournament's number of players was reduced to ten and consequently only nine rounds could be played, thus bringing the tournament to an end at round nine. Several players obtained the benefit of the resultant “bye” and four very useful points! I received no such bonus of four points as I played Con in round one and had two draws. But, never mind.

I was pleased with 4th place as I did not expect to finish as well given personal problems which, God willing, will resolve themselves in the not too-distant future.

My thanks to Dr John Reade on acting as MC, as always, in exemplary fashion.

Best wishes to all,

Lindus.
Lindus Edwards

Postby kiwinurse on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:17 pm

Good video clip Lindus. Gosh the room looks small. You were all sitting pretty close.regards Jan
kiwinurse

Postby Lindus Edwards on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:43 pm

Hi Jan,

“Small” is a good descriptive word for the playing room. It was the smallest room I have played in during my forty years of tournament play!

As a person of six and a half feet in height and weighing over 300 pounds I was rather hemmed in to say the least. As you will see from the video clip, (link below) which runs for about seven minutes, the area was such that players sat as though they were conjoined twins! As the player to my side invariably remained playing for some time after my games were completed , and as I did not wish to disturb him by trying to get out of the room, I sat patiently until he had completed his games before getting up!

I struck the top of my head on a number of occasions on rising from my seat. I suppose I must be grateful for hitting my forehead on the low beam too as this helped to provide an equilibrium so far as my brain was concerned, lol.

The guy seated to my left in the video is my good friend John Morgan. He is a much bigger guy than me and how he managed in that playing room is beyond me.

Note Tony Boyle as he tries to squeeze out of his seat and into the very narrow path out of the room. It would have perhaps been easier if he had crawled under the table, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPz8xslb ... e=youtu.be

Best wishes,

Lindus.
Lindus Edwards

Postby kiwinurse on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:08 pm

What i dont understand is the point system for the final rankings.Lindus you played Conan before he withdrew and got 2 draws.Is that right?But then the players afterwards that were meant to play Conan,after he withdrew from the match, automatically got 4 points,which doesnt seem right,because it affected your ranking,in the final.
I realize it wasnt Conans fault to have to withdraw from the match,but you were the one penalized. Does this happen in every tournament?If so,its an unfair way of playing,and should be addressed.
kiwinurse

Postby rich beckwith on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:17 pm

I'm not clear if this was a round-robin or Swiss, but I'm guessing it was closer to round-robin if there were 10 players and 9 rounds, even though it may have started out as something else. (In a Swiss event, the folks receiving the later byes would likely be the bottom players without impacting the leaders much.) But, yes, a drop-out in a round-robin can be a bit of a problem, and I don't think there is a consensus on a remedy. In ACF rules, I added that if a player drops out deep into a tournament, the remaining players receive the average score that the other players scored agaist the dropout. But ultimately, I suppose it comes down to what the local rules in place said to do.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Postby kiwinurse on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:37 pm

I think this should be looked at closely,and Lindus should have the right to question this result.Im certain if it happened to me,id be jumping up and down,and asking why.
kiwinurse

Postby Lindus Edwards on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi John,

I will ask Dr John Reade for the crosstables and send them to you as soon as I have them.

Regards,

Lindus.
...............................................................................................................
Hi Jan,

Yes, unfortunately I lost out through Con's withdrawal from the event as others gained by it.

Regards,

Lindus.
..................................................................................................................

Hi Rich,

It was a "Swiss Tournament" wherein one normally plays ten opponents. On this occasion only nine rounds could be played.

Regards,

Lindus.
............................................................................................................
Lindus Edwards

Postby john reade on Wed May 01, 2013 12:42 pm

There were 19 players so we divided them into 2 sections. The A Section had 10 players and the B Section had 9 players. Both sections played a round robin. That means 9 rounds since each player has only 9 possible opponents. (Including the Bye in the B Section.)

Con Boyle left the tournament after 4 rounds. He was then classed as an absent player so lost both games every round.
john reade

Postby Lindus Edwards on Wed May 01, 2013 7:21 pm

Thank you for the clarification John. What if Con had not been classed as you described? Would the four points still have been awarded to the opponents he would have played if he had officially withdrawn from the tournament?
Lindus Edwards

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed May 01, 2013 11:05 pm

In USSSR (and I think in Russia and FMJD today) we had a solid tournament rule: if someone played less than 50% games/rounds before (s)he withdrew, his(her) points nullified and not counted at all for tournament results and rating. But this worked only under 100% Robin Round umbrella. Very fair rule.

In English Open 2013 if this rule would apply, 9 players shall get points for 8 rounds only and points of Lindus and other players who played with Mr. Con Boyle, not counted,

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Next

Return to Tournament Discussion