EUROPE V USA

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Moderators: Alan Millhone, rich beckwith

EUROPE V USA

Postby tommyc on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:44 am

I think the time is right now for to change from gb/ire v usa to EUROPE V USA a much more meaningful contest ,more balanced and even as USA have been proven to good in the past. With the tide turning its time for a change.Who thinks it would be a good idea and good for draughts?
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Re: EUROPE V USA

Postby Dennis Pawlek on Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:30 pm

I would support that Tommy. It would balance the odds by bigger talent pool and geographics. It would even give so far unknown nations in English draughts the chance for possible supporting the team. Just imagine possibilities of strong Uk and Ireland team supported by i.e. Italian, Polish, German, Czech or even Dutch players to join such a contest. Would be more challenging for the US.
Just the all of us together can improve checkers!
Dennis Pawlek

Postby tommyc on Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:08 pm

Thats true Dennis we ve got to integrate Italy and other countries into the main stream. I dont think leaving Italy to face the might of USA would enhance the thing,it would just be similar to what we have at the moment with GB/IRE. I will steal Alans "leave no-one behind" idea for this.

In fact GB have hardly any players at all right now ,the numbers have got pretty bad the last few yrs there. Italy is viberant now and all are younger men/women a force for the future,which ,if we are to survive we need that talent mainstream really.Its not the first time ive commented on this as you know,im not sure who has the last say in this but i think its "staring us in the face" of the right path to take and the sooner the better.

Well its a "no brainer really"?
tommyc

Postby George Hay on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:14 pm

Tommy, you have a good idea, and it would be good for draughts, aka checkers!
--George Hay
George Hay

Postby tommyc on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks Geo ,its well worth considering and would even the thing up a bit so players might have more interest in it too,on both sides of the Atlantic.!! It would not be a novelty but more of something that will last for the next generation of players.

I have always been of the same opinion as you CHEXHERO to get everyone on board,but im looking long term and the lads from Kurnik WILL be the next generation of players in time ............there is no-one else really?
tommyc

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:25 pm

Maybe USA vs World instead Europe ... ? This will help a bit and allow King, Kondlo, Turkmenisdtan players etc to be added and match will not be completely one-side and gets more interesting.

Anyway - I like this idea Tommy. Last couple matches were quite boring.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby tommyc on Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:02 pm

Thanks Alex..........boring indeed, well we could have USA,EUROPE AND THEN the Rest of the World making up 3 teams or continent type teams competing then it could be like this
;;;USA V Europe
R.o.W v USA
Europe v R.o W. IN SOME AGREED ORDER OVER DIFFERENT YEARS.

or ;an open draw.............

USA V Europe and winner plays R.o.W
Europe v R.o W and winner plays USA.
R.o W. v USA and winner plays Europe.

These are also other options to consider in the long term.
tommyc

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:37 pm

worth discussing..... , very good ideas bouncing around
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Danny_Alvarez

Postby john reade on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:22 am

I proposed this idea several years ago but it fell on deaf ears.

Maybe it will stand a better chance now after the Italians' success in the last 2 QT's.

And of course Borghetti's match with Moiseyev.
john reade

World's Best of the Best

Postby Michael Holmes on Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:45 am

I would also like to add one Tournament IDEA here that would require some financial support such as sponsors and vendors.
All World Champions and challengers play in a tournament where 1st, 2nd, and 3rd get a considerable amount of money. You can format it like the old USA days with double elimination.
This is a chance to get some of the greatest games ever played. I would be willing to donate a couple hundred dollars to the prize fund and as many know, I follow through with my offers.

The "Best of Best" world checkers tournament could be played once every five years to allow for new entrants and prestege.
Just a thought.
Michael Holmes

Return to Tournament Discussion