USA vs Italy 3 moves match.

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Moderators: Alan Millhone, rich beckwith

USA vs Italy 3 moves match.

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:21 pm

Friendly, non-official match ... something similar to what we play traditionally with Great Britain & Ireland for more than 100 years and recently in 2004 with Barbados (GAYP).

Any ideas - how many boards, sponsors, match format etc ?

Hey, ACF: Alan, Richard, Kim - do you read this my post ?

I still think if we (ACF team) can collect best players - we'll be able to compete successfully and secure the win, but definetely it won't be easy deal :lol:

Regards,

Alex

========================================================================================

After my match with Michele Borghetti was over and before an official Closing Ceremony, we discussed this opportunity seriously with our Italian collegeaus and decided that it will be a greal promotional event which can boost interest to checkers in both countries and across the World.
"Good players may resign, but never give up." - T. Wiswell
Alex_Moiseyev

Re: USA vs Italy 3 moves match.

Postby George Hay on Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:42 pm

Mr. Alex, first and foremost the ACF would have to recruit the young American Checkerists that feel disenfranchised.
Then a dream team could be assembled that could rival any team in the world. How about an online match?
Online or offline, I know they respect you, it could happen!
--George Hay
George Hay

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:53 pm

George, I am talking here about 3-moves non-offical professional match USA vs Italy by Anglo-American Checkers / Draughts. Anything else should go to another posting. Lets stick into topic.

I am not fan at all of any so-called "online matches". If someone wants to make it - fine with me.

Recruiting new players is a long term task and ACF is working on this in the past 60+ years :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby tommyc on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:49 am

I agree with George,most of the older USA players wont travel ,its time for new blood going forward,if we want to survive. Its time for change all round and to bring in a new era in the draughts world.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby Chexhero on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:40 pm

Even if we got younger blood, traveling is so expensive. And as of right now, almost every young talented kurnik player wants nothing to do with the ACF in general. I would like to know what the ACF plan is in recruiting younger players.
Chexhero

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:52 pm

I think we should create another tread for recruiting and speak here about upcoming 3-moves match with Italy. USA team expances will be covered from sponsors fund - this is where we have to stick in now.

Without having money you can't recruit anyone younger than 70.

Preliminary dates for match - April-May. Location still subject TBD ... either USA or Italy.

If you are looiking for new young players - you have to go to schools, grab them here and train - something which Kim is doing but we need 100 more Kim's :lol:

Tommy, if you want to recruite new players to ACF, I don't have any objections and you have my full support - great idea.

============================================================================================

In 2004 I organized USA vs Barados GAYP match with limited ACF involvement, will try to do it again with Italy.

Alex.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby rich beckwith on Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:39 pm

Alex,

Thanks for starting this post -- a number of thoughts here. Michael Borghetti and Maurizio de Leo asked me about USA-Italy match when in Cleveland. I told them general format of past USA-G.Br. matches. Last week in San Remo, Sergio Scarpetta and Carlo Bordini also asked about potential USA-Italy match. Sergio also bought the one copy of bound 8th IM book I brought, so he can see final product.

I hear they have a possible venue or two around Rome. Sergio also has interest in coming to US some time. Jim Morrison said last weekend that he likes the concept of a USA-Italy match. Regarding dates, I indicated 2012 may be busy with World Mind Sports Games and any preceding FMJD meetings (or, busy for me personally, anyway), so I suggested 2013. Sergio suggested June. However, 2013 may be tougher for Alex if he has world title match that year. Work vacation time is a greater issue than it used to be with annual week-long qualifier tournaments, which we didn't used to have.

Funding will be a challenging, as will fielding a team. We only had 3 Amercians willing to go to beautiful San Remo for this 2011 Qualifier. In the past, we had teams with 10 players & two alternates. Perhaps this needs reduced by 2 or 4 players? Officials will also be needed. On the plus side, Gene Lindsay did leave us an international match fund.

By the way, Lubabalo would like to see a USA-South Africa match as well. I think prospects of USA matches with other countries appear dim, unfortunately. Most top USA crossboard players won't play in an on-line match, as this was suggested a year ago with Barbados.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Player Rep
rich beckwith

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:15 pm

rich beckwith wrote:so I suggested 2013. Sergio suggested June. However, 2013 may be tougher for Alex if he has world title match that year.
June 2013 fine with me. This year (2011) I played in GAYP National for training purposes, but can easy sacrifice on this. Hence!, we have 20 months ahead to get funding :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think 6-8 boards + 2 officials should work.

Moiseyev, Beckwith, Morrison, Keen, Holmes, Webster, Laverty, Schwartz, Nash will be a golden team :lol: which can beat any other team today. And we have to do this fast - time is running out for some players, they are getting older and not much new players on horizon.

Players like Clay and Tim may need financial help indeed to travel.

Sincerely,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:34 pm

while i agree with Alex that this match has to be offline .... i think for future reference there should be consideration given to online matches. If there are referees on both sides and a webcam setup .... i don't see why we couldn't try an online tournament in the future. Whether such a match would get the recognition it deserves... it is a different matter. But what i am thinking is more competition can only lift the standard of play and that has to be a good thing.

cheers
Danny.
PS as far as the young "kurnik" blood goes.... the ACF has been bending over backwards and they still refuse to show up .... my advice , don't hold your breath for them to show up for anything.... their skills are just off this universe, so maybe they will show up when they can get an extraterrestrial to challenge them.... but i suspect that they are too cool even for an alien... (we have been going over and around this issue for decades , the only solution is to recruit young (under 18) players willing to play and act in a sportsmanlike manner.... something that won't happen with the kurnik crowd)
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Danny_Alvarez

Postby Michael Holmes on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:50 am

I actually would have went to Italy but I was asked too late, after having already bought a ticket to go somewhere else. But, my church trip was best and I used a lot of that time to get caught up on school so I am sure I made the right decision. I would be proud to be on the ACF team to play against either or both the Africa and or Italy teams. Sounds fun and interesting. I guess I should start studying tonight!
Michael Holmes
Michael Holmes

Return to Tournament Discussion